ID:1380569

(See the best response by Ter13.)
Problem description:

Quick question...when I learned to code years ago, skins didn't yet exist, so now I'm trying to learn how to use them effectively. I have a chat portion of the interface that is divided into tabs, each containing a different pane with a different input.

My question is...is it possible to have the outputs scroll and save text? Currently, when new text gets added, the outputs only display what can fit into the size of the output and then deletes the old text.

I know that I can increase the size of the outputs in the pane windows and add a scroll bar to the entire pane, but that is limited by the resolution of my computer screen. Is there a way to do what I want to do and retain more text or all text sent to the outputs?
Outputs have a defined buffer size. By default, they keep 1,000 lines of text.

Simply change max-lines on an output to increase the amount of text it hangs on to.

winset(client or mob,element_id,"max-lines=5000;")

Just change client or mob to a reference to the user or the user's mob, and element_id to the id of the element you wanted to change.

Also, you can edit it in the interface, as SSGX explained below.
I'm old-school myself, and I've only just recently delved into the use of skins, so I'm certainly no expert, but I noticed that when you edit an output, the "Options" tab has a setting for Maximum lines (it defaults to 1000), and this has a note that you can set it to 0 for no limit.

It is my assumption that this limit (or no limit) applies to how many lines of text will be retained in the output. (so if set to 1000, it will keep the last 1000 lines, and only start dropping off the earliest lines once that limit is reached)
Thanks for the quick response, guys. It seems, though, that even when I change the maximum number of lines, the text I see when running my game still gets cut off... I can take a screenshot if that would be helpful.
Please do.
I'm just throwing this out, but is there a setting to disable scrolling on the output pane? (I'm not even sure if such a setting exists in the editor)

Is it truly that the old messages are getting cut off once they reach the top of the box, or is it just that you're unable to scroll back up to view them?
Here's a screenshot...I typed "ONCE", "TWICE", and so on up to "TEN TIMES" for testing.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
My guess is that the scrollbar we are seeing is actually the scrollbar for the tab, and not for the output.

Are you resizing the output when you send messages, or something like that?
The scroll bar is on the pane window itself, as that's the only option for scroll bars I have seen anywhere. I think the text is most likely being saved, but I just don't have the scroll bar set up properly to actually scroll back up.

As I'm new to skins, I have no idea how to resize the outputs when sending messages :P
Best response
Alright, all you have to do is put an output in a new panel, then set the anchors to 0,0 100,100.

Output will make its own scrollbars. Just make sure that the subwindow that you are referencing in the tab has its anchors set up to fill the available view. Output will create scrollbars when necessary.
Works perfectly. Thank you so much. I appreciate how helpful you've been to everyone recently - it's nice to have someone who knows what they're talking about advising :)
No problem. I've been around too long not to help, honestly. If I can't help pay BYOND's bills, the least I can do try to make the place a bit better.
:)