ID:1382133

Resolved
DirectX sometimes failed to initialize for some maps when multiple maps were in play, depending on the system. This behavior has been improved.
BYOND Version:499
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 29.0.1547.76
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

Occasionally my map element will render blurry (the only time this happens under controlled circumstances are when I turn off hardware mode) so I have to assume hardware mode is not turning on occasionally?

I use two maps on the window if that could cause issues?

Upon client connect I have the window format/change using win-sets (although I don't think this is an issue) but the this seems to only happen to the current project I'm working on.

The only workaround I found was to relaunch/reconnect.

Didn't seem to find any similar threads; I'll post updates with some testing I guess.
Are you using any transparent or translucent windows? This turns off hardware rendering.
Not that I'm aware of, but it only happens rarely, until when it does then it seems to occur more often for a period of time. I don't know what to say with out a way to verify/check if hardware mode is on or not.
One thing you can try is changing the mode. If it says it's in hardware mode, try turning it off. Then, try turning it back on. If it becomes un-blurry when you turn it back on, then it got pushed out of hardware mode (which it does silently for certain interface cases).
I didn't know it effected it in real-time, I'll try that. How would you go about changing it in real-time?
This happens for me when I play Hazordhu on certain computers. It starts off blurry and slow, and I have to uncheck and recheck hardware mode. The game doesn't use any alpha windows.
Ticking it off and on in pager preferences doesn't seem to do anything. Unless you mean doing this in between reconnects?

Edit: Nevermind, readded the title-bar to my window to get access to the .options and such and yeah it fixes when I untick-retick the hardware mode box in game. Is there a command I could force to run?
Anyway this could be fixed? I don't have any transparent or translucent (maybe invisible via ticking the visible box?) and it's dropping 1 out of 2 maps (another reason I think the transparent thing isn't the issue) out of hardware mode.

I don't much like the options box, and having people go through it to refocus their game is a bit odd.

I'd be happy to give any information to pin down this behaviour as I can't seem to figure it out.

@Kai: Would Haz happen to have multiple maps or run a lot of winsets resizing elements upon login?
In response to Jittai
It has an extra map or two for displaying an atom (because grids aren't cool enough), but it's not visible by default.

It definitely does some skin stuff (resizing) on login (after client/New() because that's a thing to avoid for whatever silly reason).
So those are two things we have in common then. I have a feeling it's the multiple maps.
This has happened to me on Hiro's Letter Box, but not on Ultimate Jigsaw iirc (think this uses alpha in windows, so that could be why), both use multiple maps.
I have a debug project that's had some issues with this because of multiple maps, but it has always told me it was leaving hardware mode (for the map in question, at least). I realized after looking through our code that you only see this popup when you have debug privileges for the game.

Further investigation has revealed that when I'm getting this issue, it's apparently because of an internal driver thing where previous commands are getting stacked up, and the failure isn't necessarily a complete one. The correct response, per MSDN, is to delete the Direct3D object and try again later, which dealt with the issue for me. So I think this can be improved on, if that's what's happening in your case.
Thanks!
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
DirectX sometimes failed to initialize for some maps when multiple maps were in play, depending on the system. This behavior has been improved.