ID:1384076

Applies to:DM Language

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
I am suggesting that there be a new, read-only var, called client.eye_loc, or something similar. This would represent the actual location of the eye (or virtual_eye) on the client's screen, in screen_loc format.

Since the eye is always "anchored" to the screen, and never moves relative to screen objects, it would be nice if you could think of the eye as if it were also a screen object (even though it isn't).

client.eye_loc could be used to link the client's screen with the world map in a way that has never been done before. You could seamlessly relate screen objects with objects on the map (all relative to the eye).

Right now, screen objects and map objects are thought of as existing in completely different planes. The client's eye is the one object that exists in both planes simultaneously. We can already get its location on the map, which means its screen_loc would be a very valuable thing to have.

I have attempted to decipher where the position of this eye_loc might be, but there are just too many factors to consider. client.view, world.icon_size, and even bound_width/height can alter the actual screen_loc of the eye. Even those values being even or odd can alter what the value would be, so it's very confusing. I'm pretty sure it would be much easier to grab something like this from the inside, and simply make it a built-in var.