Could i coax you into finishing it? Its a nice demo but i don't have any money to spare, you should not keep something that has so much potential unfinished.

It wasn't a game. Never was meant to be. Just a set of graphics for an interface.

I might once my schedule frees up, go back and cut this thing into a tutorial/library, but I don't really see the point, TBH. Nobody puts any effort into their interfaces at all, and everybody is perfectly happy with these solid red windows and verb panels.

There's no reason that something like this hasn't been done before with BYOND. It's... Just that there's no real care for quality whatsoever here.
In response to Ter13
What if i told you i prefer quality over laziness? I was trying to ask if you could do/make that an even more detailed tutorial.
It'd take time. I won't be free until at least November. I'll think about it.
In response to Ter13
Just in time for Christmas :D
EDIT: I should have grasped some/all of the basics by then and more hopefully with the forums help and all the res/tutorials i can find.
In response to The Magic Man
The Magic Man wrote:
Stat panels look ugly and I can only think of 1 legitimate reason to use them and that is displaying information quickly and easily to help with testing things.

You should never use them in a finished game. Ever.

Gonna chime in and say this is pretty much how I feel about stat panels. Granted, I never use them when I'm testing things or in the middle of development. It's all about huds and HUBS.
Granted, I never use them when I'm testing things or in the middle of development.

I keep an output panel and a statpanel in a separate window for testing. Just in case I need to keep track of what's going on in my code.
Stat Panels For Chumps :P !
For the record, I'd like to see a tutorial over something like that Ter13. It looks really nice.
It's not terribly hard to do, he even high lights the areas as clues.
If you want to make a BYOND game, sure, use statpanels. If you want to show your game anywhere outside of this website without getting laughed at...avoid them.

There are certain niches where statpanels are okay, particularly fanime games. You might be able to get away with it in a text adventure or some kind of super-dorky hacker simulation or whatever, but for anything else you can do things that look much nicer.
Just curious - for those of you who don't like or use statpanels, how do you handle admin verbs? I've been working on migrating away from statpanels in Sekia and haven't thought up a good way to handle admin verbs without a statpanel. I also have to work out a way to redo my magic skill so that it can be used without a statpanel...
In response to Ralf1324
Ralf1324 wrote:
Just curious - for those of you who don't like or use statpanels, how do you handle admin verbs? I've been working on migrating away from statpanels in Sekia and haven't thought up a good way to handle admin verbs without a statpanel. I also have to work out a way to redo my magic skill so that it can be used without a statpanel...

You could convert to HUD based administration commands ( which I imagine could get messy ) or use the drop down menu BYOND provides. I dislike having administrators in general, though, due to the natural power-hungry drama it stirs.
In response to Ralf1324
Have a menu option at the top, which will open up a new window containing all the admin functionality you need in it.
Or you could have /commands to be used in the chat input
For the sake of simplicity, I prefer to use a single HUD button that calls up an admin proc that uses an input() to let the player select from a list of functions.
In response to Ralf1324
Ralf1324 wrote:

Admin commands are not front-facing, and thus don't matter. Presentation for your admins is a moot point. Honestly, though, I'd prefer /commands as an admin than clickable verbs.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Admin commands are not front-facing, and thus don't matter. Presentation for your admins is a moot point. Honestly, though, I'd prefer /commands as an admin than clickable verbs.

This. Or I like to have an Admin tab or something in the menu. There's no reason that a stat panel is better than these options.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Honestly, though, I'd prefer /commands as an admin than clickable verbs.

I'm actually the opposite. I don't tend to use keyboard control for much of anything when I'm on the computer (aside from CTRL+C, CTRL+V, PrintScreen, the occasional Alt+Tab, and perhaps one or two others, like a few other CTRL+Letter combos), so I very much dislike having to type commands to control anything. BYOND's earlier days when the command line was given much more importance by developers (mostly because it was the best interface option that was currently available) always irked me.

Verb panels are a step up, in at least they can be interacted with via the mouse (which, by process of elimination, you've by now guessed is my most commonly relied upon input/control device), but they're very ugly.

So, I want to do all of my interaction (even "hidden" interactions and controls) via click-able objects, generally, a HUD button.
I just have a small window separate from the game that contains a stat panel and a output...
In response to Jittai
Jittai wrote:
I just have a small window separate from the game that contains a stat panel and a output...

That's what I think I'll do as well...seems the best option...Admin commands don't need to be pretty...just everybody else's interfaces :P
Page: 1 2 3