Hazordhu

by F0lak
Hazordhu
Explore a vast open world full of dangers and wonders
ID:1393852

I've looked over the game a bit, remembering roughly a year ago when I used to play and it could average a little bit more than 20 players with ease, and wondered what happened. The game is relatively fun to play, it seems well-coded, and I remember the community being relatively rich and interesting to talk to.

So, what happened? More than that, what will happen-- The game seems dead every time I look at it now, except for a few individuals, and it really disappoints me considering how fun it was.

Is the source available to look over and begin making updates to, and is it legal to do so? Are there people who can be spoken to about... giving the game life?

Just a few things. I miss this game a bit.

Thank you to whoever may answer, and I appreciate your interest. Have a nice day, and enjoy your net dream.
It's actually really old and not very well-made in either design or implementation.

The game's creator has been busy with life away from BYOND, it seems, for the past few years. The game randomly pops up after having straight 0 players for months, but not because any of the administrators or developers do anything to liven it up. It's just been up to the players to keep the community going. A lot of the community are no longer around. The few dedicated players who are left sometimes try to scrounge up a playerbase once in a while.

I've been the main programmer for this game since the end of Hazordhu Classic. I helped F0lak with this game when I was like, 13 years old. I've asked F0lak about making this game open source or have public host files or something, but he doesn't seem to like the idea. I'm not too sure I'd like anyone seeing the awful code and how badly it's organized.

The only decent option I see is remaking this game from scratch, at this point, but that would take a lot more time and motivation than I have.

If you want to make a game "like" Hazordhu, go ahead. I don't think it would really be Hazordhu though unless it's coming from F0lak.

I appreciate you using the forums. No one else seems to know they exist. Whenever I log in to check on things, people throw bugs at me, even though they have all the time in the world to write a few sentences for a bug report... not that I'm planning on making any updates any time soon (although I've been known to release patches spontaneously after enough big bugs pile up).
Ah. Well, while I'd perhaps like to see a remake made of it, I honestly don't have the time and motivation myself to do it, and I am certain I would be unable to get the same feel. :P

And it really is a nice feel. Funny-- Even if you say it has awful code, and it's badly organized, it was really fun! Not always necessarily a super bad thing.

Regardless of all, I appreciate the quick and thorough response.
i have played for along time and i love the game to bits i have tryed to make a game alot like this but never get far as i have never really finshed any of the games i make,, but i have tryed my best to keep player base at a good lvl but after gta 5 came out it got harder im online almost everydaty and most of the day its fun playing on your own but players do help if there is anything i can really do to help the game come back to life let me know as i dont want to see this game go down