ID:1397575

I'm not much of a pixel artist but here's some messing around trying to make a nice grass tile. I tried to remove the grid as much as I could. Any one have any suggestions on what I could do to make it better in regards to the color and the grid? I can't find the right palette.

photo GrassWIP.png
MDC wrote:
I'm not much of a pixel artist
-.-

You can try out different patterns or shapes for the grass. I think the blades of grass you shaped aren't large enough. Maybe, try making masses of grass instead of the daunting pill, string, or whatever. When I pick colors for a color palette I try to go colors that go towards a yellow, and violet/purple. As I get darker I go towards purples and brighter is towards yellow. Also, I change the saturation the brighter it is the lower the saturation, and the darker it is the higher the saturation.

What I see in the bottom one is clearly you decided to go for a higher saturation while keeping the high value, as in 100 for all the colors. Your viewers might start to strain their eyes when they look at this tile if its a common grass tile.

The top one appears to actually have red in it. Which maybe why I feel the lighting might be more natural.(at least to humans)What is this random dot that's in the tiles?
In response to BayJune
BayJune wrote:
MDC wrote:
I'm not much of a pixel artist
-.-

I'm not T_T I'm a programmer, and a beginner at that too!

Pixel art just isn't my thing but I try it every now and then.
In response to Candle_Jack_9000
Candle_Jack_9000 wrote:
What is this random dot that's in the tiles?

It's something an old friend of mine did for one of his many grass tiles, but I think it didn't go well because of the colors. It helped break up his grid a lot and it looked really nice and part of the grass. I still can't come up with a very nice palette sadly but I'm still trying lol. I need to get the right color for it because two of the races and two of their classes, totaling up to four classes, mainly have green skin color. It was a bit hard on the eyes. I'll try out what you suggested but it might be a while haha. I've never really been good with palettes. Thank you for your feedback. I'm surprised none of the usual people around here commented.
I figured it was visual static. @_@
Yeah, I don't think I'm great with color either. Lol. Just think of it as a sort of designer might. You may not need any detail in the grass tiles. You might be able to pull off a single color for grass, dirt, snow; and then have the few tiles with variation. One tile with a stone on it, another one with a puddle of mud.
id redo the pallet and add one more colour into the mix, either way the grass tile will only be as good as whats around it though so there's not much point in showing how it looks on a large scale, seemless game art based on different items like flowers and trees will compliment the tile and make everything bettttter :)(in the assumption this is game art).

Classic resource for colour courtesy of TMDI: http://files.byondhome.com/TheMonkeyDidIt/shading1.html
Yeah I'll definitely be adding more to it. I just wanted to see how bad the tiling would be in a bigger scale. Thanks for the link chris, I'll post an update again here when I get to it in a bit. Glad to see you're still around, haven't seen you in forever haha
I try to get on the forums as much as possible haha(which is harder then you would think) trying to keep an eye on whats going on in this once wonderful community to see if anything interesting pop's up.
Welp I added you on skype a while back. Send me a message and I'll show ya a few things lmao
 photo GrassWIP_zpsc7650604.png
Add more grass and decrease the colors to 3 ?

tiletut.png

^remove grid.