Murder Mansion

by SuperSaiyanGokuX
Murder Mansion
Not for the faint of heart...
ID:1406665

I'm wanting to host a Murder mansion server, but a major problem im having is I don't have a clue how to port foreward and am also hesitant to do so because my brother says it could be hacked into or something. Here are loads of questions I have before proceeding.

1. If i make a static ip address would it affect every single computer in my house? And could it harm the houses network in any way?
2. How do i find my router's status page?
3. How do I port forward Properly?
4. What are the benefits and risks of port forwarding and static ips?
5. How do I know if I have successfully created a server?
6. how do i guide others on how to join my server?

please help :(
Actually i could still use some help
Ahh, the age-old setting up a computer to host a BYOND game issue. It can be a pretty complicated job.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about it to really be of much help. I can't even really answer your questions, aside from telling you to read up on the discussions on it on the developer forums, and instructions on portforwarding.com (there's even a BYOND-specific section)

The MM permanent server is not on my own system, it's on a remote server/hosting service. (which is why I'm not sure how to do the process myself: I never have)

But speaking of which... The game has a permanent public server, and there are literally 0 "host" tools in the game now, so why is there even a need to host your own? You actually get nothing out of it (no host-only commands, no extra control, all game controls are open to everyone connected to any server, etc.)

And as long as you're the person who selects the map and starts the round, anyone playing with you will get to play with whatever you select (even subscriber-only content; once you're there to access it, everyone else playing with you gets to play it)

I guess you might want a private server, so you can invite specific people only, though...
Ok, Well since I am on your server right now, I will wait 10 minutes each round for more players before starting. I think that will do for now. :)
Ok My game crashed and now i cant reconnect to the server. keep saying connection failed. What do i do?
Well, The public server is gone. so Now i want to host one. can you please tell me where i can go to find the answers i am looking for?
The public server is still up... I'm not sure how it was "gone"? (unless maybe the BYOND hub itself had some hiccups at that time)

But anyway, the best (though incomplete and a little old) guide on the site is in this thread:

http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=30260

Other searches on the forums for "port forwarding" and "how to host" might turn up more info.