ID:1414284

(See the best response by Nadrew.)
hey guys i need a byond staff to "tag" my game http://www.byond.com/games/Yusuke11/NarutoFatalDreams
You're not very clear on what you mean by tagging your game. Do you mean listing it? If so, anime/fan games are not listed.
i mean when i search up my game it doesn't pop up on google like for example i searched "Naruto Failed Future" but it didn't pop up . So can you make it pop up when someone searches it? also when someone hosts it it doesn't say that its being hosted on the hub.
Uhm. I think it'd be better if it wasn't "tagged". And even so, I think it's only listed if Google's crawlers see it. Meaning they'd have to get to your page before they can list it in their servers.

Google's crawlers are just a bunch of bots that browse web pages and records the page's recent "look". It takes a snapshot and some summarized data of what's on the page then saves it to Google's servers. Once saved, you can then search for it. That's why when you type in a sentence it shows you a summary of what on that web page is similar to that sentence. Because they saved the page.

Even so, It's kind of better for it not to be listed as there are many complaints resulted from fan games. Provided you're not making money of it of, you should be okay.

TLDR: Google has the power over what's listed on their site by using their "Crawlers" which are bots that browse the net and save their history on a server where you can search through. I don't think BYOND can help you. Though, I may be wrong.
In response to Doohl
Since when? Fan-made games are listed. They're tagged just like any other game in their categories.
Best response
Fan-games are marked in a special status and tagged as 'anime' or whatever happens to be their general theme. They don't get the same treatment with multiple tags and their hub entry isn't as visible on the website.
Fan games are listed??

They're listed on Google, yes. But not on BYOND. They're just not visible, as Nadrew said. Which is why I said BYOND can't do anything. Google has to. It takes "time" for Google to get to your page. :o
The "fangame" and "anime" tags are definitely visible and show the games tagged. They're just not visible on the default hub list or under other tags. That's as far as I can tell by just looking at the games list.
In response to Kaiochao
That's what I thought. I see all these random naruto games under those tags so I don't know why people keep saying they're not visible at all when all it takes is searching the tag lol
Looks like I was wrong. My knowledge is useless. :|
In response to Yusuke11
Yusuke11 wrote:
i mean when i search up my game it doesn't pop up on google like for example i searched "Naruto Failed Future" but it didn't pop up . So can you make it pop up when someone searches it? also when someone hosts it it doesn't say that its being hosted on the hub.

I don't think BYOND does any specific SEO on games individually.

And check your hub password and hub variables in your source to ensure they match your hub.
BYOND doesn't actively promote any user-generated content (hub entries, forum posts, etc...) on search engines. The only SEO I'm aware of is for the main page itself; which is how it should be, like someone else said, it's not up to BYOND to advertise for you.
Maybe an SEO column for hub entries would be a nice idea. Then players could type their own keywords, and an optional description (by default being the short description).
That'd be nice. And it could be an extra benefit for BYOND members as well. Considering it's not a giant neccesity for everyone, limiting it shouldn't be bad and may encourage more people to say, "Hey, my hub can get more noticed a bit this way. I think I'll buy a membership." Bam! ._.
In response to Liam Howe
While that would be a good idea, there's still the fact that BYOND leaves it entirely up to you to advertise your game. It's not too terribly hard to work up decent SEO on a website, given that you've made it fairly decently.
In response to Magicmann
Magicmann wrote:
While that would be a good idea, there's still the fact that BYOND leaves it entirely up to you to advertise your game. It's not too terribly hard to work up decent SEO on a website, given that you've made it fairly decently.

That was the idea, the SEO form so that we could advertise games ourselves without posts like these popping up.

As for websites, majority of games don't bother with websites, they're just using the free phpbb forums.
Well, the tagging is mostly a search thing, as opposed to an SEO one. I suspect we wouldn't let people free-reign on search tags (or SEO meta tags) as abuses of that hurt usability and general page-rank.