.dll files are still limited to strings as parameters, but that shouldnt rwally be much of a problem if you are okay with them. Strings are a less efficient medium than floats (numeric data type in dm).
I've been looking at the same thing in terms of following greenlight and kickstarter. Spent half the day yesterday browsing through all the greenlight games with "dungeon" in the name. A Steam game called "10,000,000" was the one that inspired me into action a long while back. It made me realize it was all too possible to turn a BYOND game into a STEAM game. I did buy Legend of Dungeon on Steam a while back as well.

I've always had the same argument for how BYONDers could succeed. Just team up and start cranking out small projects and grow the trust and business from there. It would just work provided those involved are level headed people.

I've got a bit (quite a bit) of an opportunity to be an investor as well. I'm driven purely by the dream of getting on Steam and succeeding there.

The issue I see with most RPG's on BYOND is that they're trying to be something they're not: massive.

People think that by adding a ton of useless features that have nothing to do with the core gameplay, it makes the world more "realistic" and "massive," which is totally false. I know it sounds like common sense to develop your game around the centric play mechanics, but the phrase "common sense" doesn't permeate throughout the majority of games on BYOND, and certainly not in the RPG section, but I digress.

Developers need to learn to let go of that image in their head of owning a massively popular game who's title is screamed at the tops of the world's peaks and focus more on getting the basics down. There's no sense in adding polish to a project that's only half-finished.

I used to be horrible about this, myself, but after so many failed projects, I've kinda wised up about what not to do while developing games.
Page: 1 2 3