icon_state = "top"
pixel_y = 64
waura8
icon = 'bountowater.dmi'
icon_state = "top right"
pixel_y = 64
pixel_x = 32

Dissected Icon :
*you may have noticed this is a modified code from the bsoc source I am not trying to start a new game from it I wish to continue were the original owners left off all updates that I did not create I still give credit to them*

I'm trying to make an underlay that expands to show the big picture but there are 3 problems with this

1: it will shows 32x32 under the player yet it shows as its real size if you use it as an obj on the map

2:Even tho it shows full size on the map like it should its dissected for some reason this may be a problem of how I sliced the image

3:using the large image import thing will solve problem 2 as it's together as well as still showing big if you use it on the map, but as an underlay or overlay will shows as 32x32 image instead of original size

Icons in BYOND are 32x32. If you use an icon bigger than this, it gets split up into 32x32 squares. Try the BigAtom library ( http://www.byond.com/developer/Shadowdarke/BigAtom )
In response to Immibis
the problem is it being 32x32 when used as a player icon,overlay,or underlay but if used as a turf on the map it will show its sized used when created

and that big atom thing is a little difficult to comprehend and the link given in the other link looks as if its only used for the player icon not overlay(underlay)
In response to Vegetto7
Vegetto7 wrote:
the problem is it being 32x32 when used as a player icon,overlay,or underlay but if used as a turf on the map it will show its sized used when created

That's supposed to happen. It's a feature of the map editor - when you directly use a big icon for an atom and lay it in the map editor, it automatically splits it for you into parts and lays those down. For turfs this would work rather fine (but still not perfectly without some extra code), since they are static (can never move) but with movables like mobs the situation is much less simple, and requires extra work, handling and adjusting to make all the atom pieces behave as parts of a single mob, etc. BigAtom is a library that does a fair bit of this for you however. Read its documentation. If you're just a beginner, this may very well be jumping too far ahead before you're more experienced.
Another method is indeed to use pixel-offset overlays for the extra 32x32 parts, but those are not only a visual-only effect but are limited in that, and probably wouldn't be what is desired.
In response to Kaioken
ok I think I'm started to comprehend it a bit more I've been able to make a character icon the full size of icon I'm still working on the overlay and underlay part
In response to Vegetto7
I've been trying for 2 days to get big atoms to work with an under/overlay and I still have not gotten any progress I've tried multiple libraries that do not involve big atoms that still aren't helping much