ID:14196

Rant. Blah. I feel like I need it right now.

You know, if you're observing a player it'd be nice to see if people actually DO things to other players instead of seeing chat text only. I was trying to watch someone who would NOT STOP YELLING over instant messenger that he was being griefed and I couldn't tell what was going on at all.

Fine. If you think my server is bad, whatever. I usually see 2-3 other servers that you're more than welcome to join instead. But before you start whining that admins are abusing or that I don't enforce rules, try FOLLOWING THEM YOURSELF FIRST. I practically beg for screenshots for evidence because I'm not going to simply take someone's word for banning someone, yet I'm somehow a terrible host for not putting someone's head on a silver platter the instant someone shouts "GRIEF!" You want action? Screenshot it so I can see what has happened. If you don't, the best that I can promise is to ask one of the admins to start observing the guy you're accusing.

Unless you're hosting invisibly and only with people you know well, I can't recommend Space Station 13 to anyone. I find the moderation controls somewhat unfriendly and the community is utter garbage. Even old Proelium was easier to deal with than this.
i agree with you 100%, when i get killed i add tan admin onto my pager and explain my grief .

and when im dead i useually help the admins by obsering people =).
Sarm, what do you LIKE about SS13? I mean, seriously, players act like 3 year olds sometimes, they will do whatever they CAN do or whatever they can try to get away with. SS13 is an extremely open-ended game, and people say the fun is all in the "roleplaying." However, I find that SS13ers are power kegs, that if you do one thing wrong they will EXPLODE on you in a variety of ways. The whole "grief" nonsense is stupid, because with PvP always on SS13 is just a gladitorial arena with cool secrets like bombs, advanced DNA, cloaks, swords, pistols, and the list goes on and on. It's much easier to hit people in the head with a toolbox than to actually learn how to "play well." I hear from many people that SS13 is good if it's heavily moderated, but that isn't SS13 at it's finest, is it? So in conclusion, SS13 is madness, what's there to like?
It looks like SS13 could be a real blast to play because the game gives off a sandbox feel to it. It looks like there's a lot to explore.

The problem comes when there are two types of people who want to play the game differently. You can probably see where I'm going when I say that, though.

Everyone seems to have a different opinion on how to "play well" in SS13 but I don't think heavy moderation is the answer. Punishing people for poor roleplaying is NOT encouraging good RPing. It's just punishing, and you'd think that a good RPer would be able to account for griefing and roll with the punches. Sure, if someone got screwed up then report it, but people shouting "GRIEFER!" are just as guilty as breaking what little RP atmosphere exists as the people murdering randomly.

This is all carrot and stick, without the carrot. I'm thinking maybe I should actually try adding griefing to part of the game itself rather than something to be avoided. Maybe just one round, to see how it pans out. Maybe it would help get this sort of thing out of their systems too. I'll dwell on it for a while.
I don't know... I always see good things about SS13, and from your post there was more good things. So I go join an SS13 server, but all I find is a bunch of immature, violent, abusing, rude idiots. Admins have all kinds of things that were put in that they can easily abuse, including secrets. A "good" SS13 player is probably someone who "roleplays" and doesn't go crazy killing everyone, unlike the rest of the players. Hosting shouldn't be about babysitting griefers, it should be about having a good time playing a game. If I wanted to roleplay, I would play my game, Deadly Waters, instead. At least that doesn't have a bad community and people who just come in to kill each other.
It comes back into what the players are putting into it. :( It's probably weird to see me say I wouldn't recommend the game yet go on about how it looks fun, but you get out of it what everyone puts in. It's just that the people "putting in" seem to drag the game down.
I wouldn't like a game where the players have to keep themselves under control otherwise the game will go to a hell-like state. A "roleplay reason" for attacking sounds to me just an excuse for people to roleplay a little before unleashing their fury on someone. "Putting in" to a game drags the game down? I don't understand. If you're trying to roleplay and what not, you're stopping the game from reaching its full violent potential?
Nono, what I meant is WHAT is "put in". If a group of genuinely good roleplayers put in their best effort, the result will be substantially different than if a bunch of people put in shit like "taser for no reason and lead everyone on a goose chase until he's caught, after which he'll scream grief".

I'm not hearing about the former very much. :/
Players do whatever is easiest for them, or whatever they know how to do, or what they were taught to do. Analogy time, yesterday I was playing Halo (for PC) and I was playing oddball. The objective of oddball is to hold the ball for a certain amount of time while everyone else is supposed to try to kill the guy with the ball. However, by the time I left the server I was really frustrated. People weren't even going after the guy with the oddball. They were just killing anyone near them! What's the easiest thing to do? Shoot at people near you. Is it part of the goal of the game? No, in fact, it's counter-effective. The guy who has the ball is racking up seconds while people will take their time to kill anyone who DOESN'T have the ball. The average newbie will find it much easier to attack people in this game of constant PvP than to sit there and talk to the person about how their day was. No training + constant PvP + people who will teach others how to grief + the "roleplayers" being explosive anyway + lots of in-game secrets and easily abusable admin powers = diaster
Okay, I guess I'm just expecting too much from players or something. x_x Sounds like the same thing that made Hedgerow Hall cave in.
Same thing with Lode Wars.
And thus you learn the truth- Players suck :-)

Seriously though, there are some players who just like to be dickheads and mess with other people because they can. They will exploit anything they can. Open PvP? Look out, here they come for repeat gang raping. No PVP? Well, then they will try to exploit that by taking stuff, stealing kills, healing/buffing enemies, etc.

It's tough, too, because there are also the whiners that piss and moan about everything. And if they see results for their whining, they whine more and louder!

The trick is to ruthlessy eradicate the true griefer, ignore the whiners and keep the few good players that trickle through. Usually a well moderated, but not tyranical, enviroment with a rich story and plenty to do will do that. But that takes alot of work and maintenance.
Lode Wars is dead. =(
THe game would thrive if it weren't for little shits trying to ruin things. "OMG HE CHEATED BAN"
If anyone who is still developing a game happens to read this...

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS BYOND-Y, RECORD GAME LOGS!

Edit: Holy smokes I think I just got an idea for a future journal entry... :)
o_O That reminds me, I need to make a regular logging feature in DWD, one that cuts out OOC.