ID:14211

(Yes, I am posting under Popisfizzy's blog, but I'm on a 354 day no-post streak. Don't want to ruin it.)

Alright! I'm here to talk about Moon Station 404! I've been working on this game for a whole six days now. It's going by really well, I've done a lot considering how lazy I am. What Moon Station 404 is is basically... Space Station 13 meets order. Yes roleplaying, yes action, lots of goodness for everyone. I'm stealing a lot of Space Station 13's ideas and stuff... yes, I'm a thief. I wouldn't mind some nice suggestions for what I should add to the game. Remember, I'm not like Exadv1, I'll work on the game daily and spit out some updates every while. I'll also listen to any suggestion, and the faster you suggest the faster I'll put it in. Here's a list of the stuff I've done so far:

• The Air System- Wee! We've got some smart air! The air in the station contains three gasses: oxygen, nitrogen and methane. A good 21%; 78%; and 1% blend respectively. That would be the ideal blend for each tile. Each tile shares the gasses with eachother. So if the tile to the right has more nitrogen than the tile to the left, the right one gives up the right amount of nitrogen so both tiles are even. This, as well as some efficient programming, makes a really neat effect for the game (oh, it's not just an effect, it's a huge part of the game!)

• The Health System- Hurray for health! Although not complete yet, your character take take quite a hit. As of yet, you can take some brute damage, poison damage, and suffocation damage, each with a neat little indentifier to indicate that that person is suffocating/poisoned/beaten up. If you take so much poison, you will be knocked unconscious! And if that happens, your lungs will bleed and you will continue to take poison damage regardless if there's a methane cloud around you. Same goes for oxygen. If you don't breathe in enough, you'll be knocked out. If you don't breathe for so long, your lungs will stop functioning. Of course both of these can be helped! That's really all I've done for the health system, but there's definately more to come.

• The Doors- Funny little doors! They will open if you walk infront of them, no more annoying bump-into-doors! They are rather intelligent and will never close shut on someone. Along with the doors are doorlocks! These can be anything from finger print scanners to eye scanners to card scanners! These doors really are unique and fit the game perfectly.

• The Inventory System- Hurray for on-screen inventory! Boo for on-screen inventory that eats up your screen space! Well, you get the best of the best on MS404. You can truncate your HUD down to nothing! You can keep what you want up and once I get around to it, you'll be able to drag and drop your screen objects around so they're in the right place for you. And yes, this will save on the client's side so you won't have to keep doing it on every server. The inventory system is much like SS13's, but I do see a major difference in speed in the game so it's less annoying.

• Clothing- Clothing! Everyone needs clothes. A simple hex value will change the clothes' colour at runtime! Very simple, very easy, very good!

• Tools- The tools for the trolls! There's everything from a welder to a hammer to a powercutter! An array of tools for everyone to use. Currently you can break into doorlocks and headsets to change some settings :).

• Efficiency- Yes! EFFICIENCY! I wrote the game to have the best possible quality with the least possible amount of lag! I wrote, re-wrote, and re-re-wrote pretty much everything to make sure it's very fast. I'm running a 470 MHz machine, and when I play on a nice 100x100x1 map it plays much better than any of SS13's servers. This means much better game quality.

Well, yeah, I suppose that's all I've got done so far. I should work on it more! So if you have ANY suggestions; something you want that you saw on SS13 or any other game, or something completely original, just reply here and I'll get to everyone!

Hurray for images!

Image 1
Yes, the character looks like something out of a bad DBZ game, you can thank Papoose for that. The image shows me showing off the tools and my clothing!

Image 2
Here you can see the awesome air system! The orange stuff is the methane. When the methane gets thick in one area you can see it (I know, methane is odourless and colourless), the more there is the thicker the methane cloud. And to the left of it is the fire spreading about. The fire can't breathe without at least 2 methane and 1 oxygen unit.

Image 3
Poor Crashed has a blue face and green chest! That's the symptoms for burtal poisoning and suffocation! Oh no!

Thanks to Papoose and Xiox17something something for these graphics. They're the ones who made the decent looking stuff, I made everything else as you can tell. They are only temporary until I get them drawn by someone who can... draw!
This game sounds good keep up the good work can't wait to see what it looks like.
I just posted some images. :)
I drew the overlays. =(

Not that they were of good-quality, though. >_>

But keep the work up, it looks great!

EDIT: Accidently made the "drawed" typo again. >.>'
Oh yes! O-matic drew the little overlays that show up when you're holding something! I didn't show those off. :(
Crashed sounds happy!
Heh, not that it really matters... I draw for others when I don't have anything to do myself. I was just suprised for not seeing my name on there, but meh... I shouldn't be caring-- it didn't take me too much time. =P
Looks very good. Can't wait to play =O
Looks very good. Can't wait to play =O
Same as they said.
(Copied over from the forums for the purposes of recording.)

Bugs:
* You can drop screwdrivers on dense atoms (possibly limited to turfs) and it will remain in your inventory and appear on the map.
* You can weld stuff shut even while it's being operated and while other things need to be done first (the wall panel: you have to unweld it and unscrew it before you can work on it. I managed to weld it shut, even though someone was working on it with the wirecutters, and it wasn't screwed back in).
* The chat system needs improvement (you missed the basics: a limit on message sending (I like to keep it at ±300 characters and a limit of 0.2 seconds per message), blocking newlines (\n) and possibly failing to block HTML. Though I did get pagerbanned for the act - sorry about causing any trouble - it's going to be annoying!
* The switches were kinda too small and annoying on my screen. Perhaps make it into one big switch that gives you an input box or something? Perhaps a browser window with checkboxes?

For the rest it looks good, though I do feel sorry for Exadv1 now. I must admit that I wouldn't be capable of recreating the air engine; but I wouldn't need to! Congratulations on being the first person to get past the primary borders of creating an SS13-like game, and my warnings on the many dangers that lie ahead of you (such as grievers, people who complain that others don't role-play, ...).

I'd also like to, in this moment, say that Xion171 sent icons which may or may not be used in projects by me in the future (because I got them first, and I claim priority!), so once you get a good iconmaker or two, you should get rid ó dem icons in the case that they'll be used in the future.

For the rest, I wish you a success with this. May the additional ego-dose be good and fuzzy! ;)

The ingame test you did was really cool the fire system is sweet but i don't think it should spead as fast as it does. keep up the good work.
Nice game. I haven't tried it yet, though it looks good. Hopefully it will take over SS13's reign. Though you must do 2 things for me.

For heavens sake, please put in a very easy to understand tutorial area. I hate it when I see newbs come into the game and then complain that it is too hard and then leave. Even worse, when newbs come into the game and find a taser. Then they start shooting everyone they see and killing them all. Then every game after that they don't want to role play, all they want to do is kill each other. A fantastic example of this is Fatalsupernova, "The naked man with the world in his hands". Every game he wouldn't bother putting cloths on. He would just go and grab either a revolver or a taser and start killing everyone he can.

Secondly, please enforce roleplaying. This would be quite hard, so I suggest that you have some sort of recording system that records when someone shoots someone else. Then you can easily ban greifers.

Hopefully this game will be a great success.

ADT_CLONE
Good idea on the tutorial part. I can throw some nice hintful hints for pretty much everything. And of course roleplaying will be enforced, every little misdeed will be logged for the administrators to see. But don't think the enforcing-good-roleaply stops there. No sir, it goes on to record anything the admins will do. Any mute, any boot, checking the logs to see if someone shot a taser, anything and evrything will be logged for the host to see who is a good administrator, and who isn't. This way you will have to stand cold for every action you do, or you get the boot.
Why are you attempting to recreate SS13?
He isn't.
Ungh. I'm tired of that question. I'm not recreating SS13, I'm creating a game with a similar concept as SS13. Besides, why shouldn't anyone create SS13? It really is a large heap of crap that people force themselves not to hate. Also, I can say the same to you Mr "Project Talon."
Someone has resentment issues. What I'm saying is it looks like you're copying more than making a game with a "similar concept." Similarity in theme is fine. Follow your own ideas, use your own concepts. From reading your post all it looks like you're doing is trying to make a newer, revamped SS13. What will be your goals in the game? Will it be round-based?
The goals for the game will be a game where you can either roleplay, or have some hard-ass action. Any by roleplay I do mean roleplay. A lot of the ideas come from SS13 because... well, what else would you find on a space station? Yeah, I have my own ideas, but I have to build the basics of the station and space before I can get into detail. Also, it doesn't hurt that I throw in 'SS13 sucks, this is better' to my posts, it'll get the SS13 community to see that someone who shares similar opinions is doing something about the problem that SS13 is.
Sounds like you're just trying to recreate SS13 to me. Players are not going to come running to your game if you tell them that one game sucks and your game is better. SS13 is a highly subjective game, but when it boils game a lot of people would just like to choke each other than play with the more complicated issues of the game. Logging every action might just make it a very bland game for SS13ers, not much choking to offer. You need something different to hook players. Do you mean "hard ass action" as Player versus Player action?
Page: 1 2