ID:1421291

(See the best response by SuperSaiyanGokuX.)
More and more games are becomeing the target of ddosers and ddose attacks yet byond stands on the side lines while the core community free and byond members alike suffer. If it was just one guy fine but these ddosers are forming themselves into groups not that continiously keep games they deem down. Now these games are a vital part of byond bc these games keep an average player base, where paying memebers and people who pay for servers hubs and what not are there. I just want to understand why Byond is letting these groups take money right out of their own wallet. Membership is not what it used to be and players are slowly but surely leaving byond. While this may not be the major cause surely it is one of them. You guys should act bc its in your own intrest. Im a player of two games right now under constant ddosing attacks. I used to be a member of byond but I'll never buy a membership to something that wont stand up for its self, and the community and devolpers see this. I've ask them why dont u bring this to byonds attention they all reply bc byond wont do anything about it.

well if thats true i've prob just wasted my time writeing this.
What, exactly, do you propose they do?

For one, how are these DDoS attacks being carried out? Is it through abuse of the BYOND software, or some flaw in the game programming itself? If it's because of a game security flaw, then the developer needs to patch it up.

But even if they're doing this through the BYOND software, what can BYOND do about it? Ban their keys? They'll make new, or just join as guests. IP Ban them? Can't stop them from using the software...

And how do you plan to provide any proof that these people are actually doing what is claimed? BYOND can't just take your word for it. And there's certainly not enough resources (manpower) on the staff to go investigating and judging things.

It's not so much that they won't do anything, or that they wouldn't want to help. It's simply that they can't.
just come and play on Naruto call of the shinobi black ops or nems and you'll see how its beeing done. And yes theres away to stop it there has to be. I think its by blocking these attackers access to byond. By your logic your saying byond cant stop people from accessing their servers. Its the byond program, its byonds space. these people are commiting a crime by doing this at the very least byond could record them doing it and let the law take action to lock these cyber criminals up. but hey lets believe they cant do nothing personally with that attitude i hope they keep it up and get smarter maybe smart enough to steal money from byond its self. Guess theres nothing that can be done for when people rob stores spray paint the front doors of banks either. Yes there is somthing that can be done. If they ddos a game then they will leave a trace back to them. they cant cover it up once its been done. ban these people from byond and press charges if u cant code a sercrity they cant crack.
Best response
Games hosted through the BYOND software are not under the control of the BYOND site. The traffic doesn't even pass through the BYOND server.

It is merely host-client communication.

Sure, BYOND could de-activate their keys, and even block their access to the site. Hell, maybe even block their access to the pager game connection functionality and whatnot.

But BYOND has no power to prevent people from using any software they've already downloaded to connect to a hosted game.

In short, BYOND can block their access to the site. But that can do nothing to stop them, because the access to the site is not required for access to hosted games. It makes it much less convenient, I suppose, but not impossible.

If this is some attack that can be witnessed by being in the game, then I'm going to assume they're using in-game functions to break the server. And in that case, this is entirely in the hands of the owner/developer/host to prevent. And any legal action is also entirely up to the owner/developer/host, if they feel that their server has been attacked.
As stated by others here, there is nothing BYOND itself can do for you. It is entirely up to the developer(s) of said games to protect themselves, if they're having problems of this nature they should contact their ISP to have further action taken.

BYOND has no access to anything that would allow us to help you, nor is it our place to do so. These people aren't attacking BYOND itself, they're attacking individual games that are only connected to BYOND through a hub entry (if that). It would be like trying to have the creators of C++ ban someone from using C++ because they made a virus with it; that's just not how programming languages work.

Topic closed.