ID:1421340

I am working on this game. I would appreciate bug reports and suggestions: http://www.byond.com/games/TheDarkChakra/Hunter
Might want to ease up a bit on all of the Hunter X Hunter references. You basically copied everything from Nen.
In response to Lugia319
Oh? Great I will rename Nen too.

But it was inspired from hxh but it is not hxh.
It's called "The Hunter". It centers on the Hunter exam. And to quote your intro paragraph, "The world is filled with monsters, mutated bugs, unknown beasts and other people who are striving to become successful professional hunters. Hunters seek gold, treasures, to defeat other people and monsters, explore unknown lands, solve puzzles, make medicines and become famous and prestigous. You can go on quests to fight monsters, learn supernatural abilities, fight in tournaments and take the hunter exam".

This is literally the plot straight from HxH
Let me bold the important bits.

The world is filled with monsters, mutated bugs, unknown beasts and other people who are striving to become successful professional hunters. Hunters seek gold, treasures, to defeat other people and monsters, explore unknown lands, solve puzzles, make medicines and become famous and prestigous. You can go on quests to fight monsters, learn supernatural abilities, fight in tournaments and take the hunter exam

I would've bought the fish if you had made it sound more like an adventure game that never mentioned the hunter exam.

Once you rename nen (and related stuffs), you still don't address the very clear YYH and Naruto icons (not saying you ripped them, but the character design/clothes are INCREDIBLY SIMILAR TO WELL-KNOWN DEMONS AND NINJAS)

EDIT: I'll put some gameplay stuff here too.

I don't approve of the wide keyboard macro thing. Call me skeptical, but I don't think a player should have to memorize the usage of over 10 attacks. A macro for "talk" or "interact" with NPC seems to be in great need. Why have so many macros for attacks but none for "talk to NPC" or something? I went to the gym and disapproved strongly of squats and push-ups to train, opting to go fight ants for levels, but the thing never seemed to die. So "slow fighting game" is pretty accurate.

I like that you're going for something extremely compelx, and I can appreciate, but I think that if you want to "hook" a starting player, you're gonna need to filter it down to start and as you go further into the game, allow it to expand into its fully complex form.
In response to Lugia319
Only that the plot of any magical hunter world would be just like that. No those icons are not yyh or naruto I bought them myself.

I don't understand what you mean about the gameplay. I guess I can make an interact button. What should I do to hook up starting players and make it more simple then make it complex?
2nd icon from the left is literally the dude/chick from HxH that name begins with P(?). 3rd from the right is CLEARLY Sasuke, from Naruto. The one beside Sasuke is also from HxH. I could bring up images from the anime to show you, but I cba. And the bloke in the blue is from YYH.

I'm not gonna argue with this, your plot is way too similar to HxH. I honestly think you're trying to pull a rename game, because when I looked at the nen thing I saw a direct copy, so it's a bit late to shut the blinds after I've already seen you in the shower. Either put on a show so I can enjoy the view or make sure I never see it again.

My parting remarks
1. Remove the hunter exam or if you're going to keep it, make it actually accomplish something like beating the Elite Four in a Pokemon game to gain access to privileges otherwise inaccessible.
2. Compress your macros
3. Stylistically, I'd like it if there were some way to determine which houses may be entered on the map like maybe some kind of visual effect.
4. Obviously you're still working on it, but a HUD would be nice.
5. Separate outputs to alert me that I cannot do X because I'm doing Y. It's annoying to have it all in regular chat.
Yeah #2 and #5 are from HXH and the Sasuke one I didn't think looked like Sasuke I just made him so I thought I would just include him in the game LOL. But form YYH? No I am not aware anyone is from YYH there. My friend made that icon for me.

Yeah the Hunter exam is about fighting and collecting items. Half of it is my own thoughts. I don't know if I can do anything else.
For the life of me, I cannot determine what makes your game original. Can you clear up your definition of "original"? Right now I can only assume that it means you aren't using another game's codebase, and it does not refer to the actual gameplay or content being original.

I'm not familiar with Hunter X Hunter, so I can't go in depth about that aspect, but I can still safely say this needs a massive amount of more work. The controls feel very unresponsive, and the large amount of macros to remember seems difficult. The instructions given by the first NPC are very tl;dr - in fact, I didn't read them at all because of that. Players can often be even less patient than I am.

Training in the gym felt very generic. I didn't even think to check the menu for the stat panel window until the last minute, and I can only hope the usage of the stat panel is temporary until a proper HUD and UI are created.

I gathered all of this as my first impression in under five minutes. After that, I gave up because I found no real potential that might keep me interested.
My game's horrible :'(. I spent so much time, waited so long and spent so much money and it still stinks big time...
While I'll politely nod my head about the quality of the game without saying much more (how much money did you spend?), I don't believe that this is the best of your ability. I'm sure that you can try much harder and learn from it. You have a starting point. That's more than many others have.

Most importantly, figure out exactly what it is you want to make. I don't agree about using elements from an existing plot, and I certainly don't agree about making it similar to the many other games found on BYOND's website, but if that's what you want to do, then do it. Do it to your absolute best. Just keep in mind that your game can be much more appealing if it is truly original in the aspects of plot, graphics, etc.
Well, here's what I thought of the game.

The log in process was just horrible. I don't mean that in a mean way, either, it just seems you went very "old BYOND" style with the input() design choice.

The character selection screen was a step up from the input() process, but in open multiplayer RPGs, I don't really favor playing as a pre-made character, especially when there's a possibility that everyone else might have made the same choice. Some sort of customization would be nice.

You don't really need a stat panel with 7 tabs, most of which are cluttered with information/verbs. I've never been a fan of right clicking an atom to access a list of verbs I can pick from, but if that's something you want to go with, I shouldn't be able to challenge every NPC when they're a non-combatant.

You should also invest some time in looking into macros, the verb spam isn't necessary. Speaking of macros, the several you do have seem to be slight copies of one another. You have 10 named off that are simple kick/punch variations, and the other handful are unnamed but do seem to have the same stats. Having one or two "generic attack macros" might be a bit better and user friendly as opposed to having 10.

The lack of a HUD was relatively annoying, but I assume that's a work in progress. Having the output spammed with "Your stamina decreased!" isn't fun either. Speaking of the output, the size of the text is too large considering how small the output is. You should probably have an option to hide the output ( perhaps via button next to it ), it might get in the way if someone is in the middle of a fight.

There wasn't a guide or tutorial to inform me on what to do or what I can do. It just plopped me in the game and I had to adventure around in hopes of finding something. Not knowing which buildings I could enter was a pain considering I was plopped down in the middle of a town.

Training felt much like common DBZ games. I just right-clicked an object, picked a verb, and waited until my character was fatigue. Then I'd do it again.

You should look into bound_x, bound_y, bound_width, and bound_height. I ran into a lot of dense places when I was near your lights. Their bounds are off by quite a bit.

Visual complaints? The walking state on one of the characters ( only tried the one ) removed one of his shoes within the animation. The water animation was too slow compared to the water edges.

I understand that your game is a work in progress. I hope you take what everyone had to say into consideration. Polish makes the world ... shine?
In response to TheDarkChakra
TheDarkChakra wrote:
My game's horrible :'(. I spent so much time, waited so long and spent so much money and it still stinks big time...

It doesn't stink at all, you've shown that you are motivated and that you have talent.

Your game isn't perfect, but few games are. You have design flaws and areas for improvement, but that's something that you can work to improve.

You asked for a review and to be honest you're getting one of the better ones and you should use that to your advantage. Where people are saying your game is difficult to play or it makes them lose interest in it - improve it, make those areas stronger and continue to push forward.

Look into making a GUI for the user rather than focusing on the stats, try and cut down on all of the things the user has to remember and just focus on the things they can enjoy.

As previously mentioned people find it more preferable to engage with NPCs than to sit there and train in a gym, so consider removing your gym and making the AI more engaging. Make them challenging because they interact, not because they have better stats (but give them better stats too, just for fun! (;).

You made the game because it's what you wanted, now continue making the game and turn it into something you and other people would want to play.
I think you should change the text on your hub. You make it seem like you're so against it looking like a fan game and that you created it yourself which in turn has made people notice the differences more.

The world is filled with monsters, mutated bugs, unknown beasts and other people who are striving to become successful professional hunters. Hunters seek gold, treasures, to defeat other people and monsters, explore unknown lands, solve puzzles, make medicines and become famous and prestigous. You can go on quests to fight monsters, learn supernatural abilities, fight in tournaments and take the hunter exam

It's fine if you have this in your game, none of that stuff is copyrighted or could ever be. As long as you rename what's in the show and change some appearances you'll be fine.