ID:1426684

Poll: Create which game?(Read details)

Hunter X Hunter 15% (4)
Original game inspired from HXH 84% (22)
Both 0% (0)

Login to vote.

I need advice in gaming. First I decided to release a game based on the anime Hunter X Hunter but making the full game ended up costing me significant amount of money so I wanted to get it back. So I decided to create an original game but that has its own problems. And creating them both has its own problems. Here is the list:

Creating a Hunter X Hunter game:

Pro:

1)I can use everything from the show
2) I do not have to spend extra time making original character icons
3) It will attract players well

Con:

1) I can't profit from the game
2) the game may be put down eventually from a C&D letter

Creating an original game:

Pro:

1) I can profit from the game

Con:

1) I will need to create different looking characters, skills, names etc...
2) I can't have the same plot or the same abilities and the same special characters from the game. I mean many characters from HXH have special abilities and are special looking. It will be hard coming up with original characters.

Creating both:

Pro:

1) I can profit and have the anime version of the game

Con:

1) They have a good chance of being rejected because they are so similar
2) the anime version will probably be taking more players from the original game. Especially since the original game will have more content.

So I am asking for advice on what I should do at this point?
I think people are being encouraged for originallity.
Okay original. But the thing is it will suck. I can't create any original characters, skills, plots etc... I need help with that.
Get a game out, it doesn't matter if it sucks. If you have something ready, more people will be willing to help. No one likes to join teams due to games failing a lot, but if you have a game ready, people will be willing to help you make it better.
I did get it out but I have to pay to make it better. I can't think of any original ideas at all so unless I can find a way over the cons of making an original game I will have to make a hxh game.
In response to Howey
Howey wrote:

Second this.
In response to Kozuma3
What if this is so because people are tired of anime games and do not know anything about hxh? Hxh is a very good show. In fact I like hxh better than naruto. But I can't think of any original ideas of my own. That's the problem.
In response to TheDarkChakra
TheDarkChakra wrote:
I did get it out but I have to pay to make it better. I can't think of any original ideas at all so unless I can find a way over the cons of making an original game I will have to make a hxh game.

An original idea doesn't mean that you can't be inspired from something, you clearly want to make something relating to Hunter x Hunter - but why limit yourself to somebody else's imagination?

I don't know anything about the series, but why not make a game based around the principle of hunting. Not something directly relating to Hunter x Hunter, but something that reminds you of it but is from your imagination.

For example if I wanted to make an original game but I really loved Hunter x Hunter, then I'd make a game about hunting creatures. That would mean I'd need to come up with some ideas for creatures, so I'd research some animals and then make my own versions of them to make them monstrous.

Then I'd need to come up with some kind of skill system, you could have multiple weapons and fighting styles but then you could also have a rarer selection of people who have special abilities to fight these monsters.

Then I'd look at different powers and how you could relate them, how you could give these people powers (killing a certain monster for instance) and then how they could further these powers (killing more monsters).

Just because you want to create a game based on something, doesn't mean you have to take it directly from the source of it - you can simply use the idea and the things that you like about it and then make them your own.
The problem in part with basically making a game based off the anime then changing the name, is that honestly, most anime universes do not particularly lend themselves to being engaging, balanced games. Most are essentially, mediocre / bad games. Their redeeming feature then, is the fan element, the "Hey I can pretend I am a character in X anime universe". This is of course why you don't have people who aren't really big fans of the series coming along to play those games, either, because the main draw doesn't reach them and what is left is ... kinda bad.

So honestly? I'd say neither, basically.

The Hunter x Hunter game apparently doesn't fulfill your need to make profit / sell the game / services, hence you're asking. If you were fine without the profit making, we wouldn't be having this topic, you'd have just made and run said Hunter x Hunter game. So the standing assumption is the "Hunter x Hunter" option is not an option, for you.

The "Original game inspired from HxH" option is as I just proposed above, not really an option either. Take the Hunter x Hunter out of the Hunter x Hunter game, and I assume you'll just be left with a poorly designed RPG, that quite rightly, people largely won't play.

Given that, "both" doesn't work either, because while you'd be able to run your Hunter x Hunter game in that scenario, we've just established the appeal (and so, profitability) of the "Original game inspired from HxH" is poor. So you'll be about as poor as in the "Hunter x Hunter" option, only you've expended a bunch of effort on another game too.

---

Hence, neither, really. If you want to release a Hunter x Hunter game, then do so. But you aren't making profit off it. As such, you'll need to put together a new game, separate to that, which you think will sell. And that, won't be an "Original game inspired from HxH".

Okay I read all the posts. Before I even read the most recent one from Stephen001 I wanted to ask his: how about I compromise? I really want to release the HXH game even though it's my own money wasted. BUT later over e long course of 6 months I can work on creating an original game based or not based of off HXH. That might be the way to go.
Uhh ... if you want, sure? It is your time, after all.

From a point of view of people playing the not-Hunter x Hunter game, you'd probably not want to base that on your Hunter x Hunter game.
The point Stephen is trying to make is that it doesn't matter what theme your game is going for. If it has bad gameplay and bad design, it's going to suck. You're so caught up in making a HxH "game" that you're totally neglecting the fact that there needs to be some actual design going on in your game design.

Stephen hit the nail on the head when he said that most anime universes don't translate well into video games. They're full of over-the-top, unbalanced, deus ex machina crap-fests. If you go with an original game, you'll have the opportunity to do things your way without worrying about irritating those leeching, fan-game elitists.

Before you even start thinking about a theme or a story, think about how the game will be played. Build the skeleton and muscles first and once you've got a solid prototype, you can work on picking out how you want it to look. You have to think from a "ground-up" perspective.

Bang out a watered down gameplay scenario and send it to me. I'll be more than happy to give you my advice. Hell, we all are. We may seem a bit rude at times, but that's just because we're tired of seeing the same games with different looks being made over and over again!
I actually have ideas how my game will play.
After looking at your post history, which includes a pretty large spam spree of "**** YOU AND YOUR GAMES" on various hubs last June my vote is "don't make a game at all." It probably won't be very good.

Unless you first joined when you were like 4 years old, someone who has been around BYOND since 2004 and still behaves that way probably doesn't have a lot going for them :P
In response to Jaredoggy
This guy is The Truth.
Don't bring that up guys I trolled a guy who was harassing me for a month.
I was going to make a regular post, but my response evolved into this.
In response to TheDarkChakra
TheDarkChakra wrote:

That's a great excuse for spamming like an idiot.

In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
TheDarkChakra wrote:

That's a great excuse for spamming like an idiot.

Don't you know? Flame wars are the new "Hello."
In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:
Howey wrote:

Second this.

Page: 1 2