ID:14268

Who comes to mind when "Byond guru" is spoken? Probably people like Foomer, Lummox JR, Tom, Shadowdarke, etc. I'm not going to try to list every one of them because I'm afraid I'll forget someone and I don't want anybody to feel insulted that I left them out. Don't hate.

But what about the many programmers of Byond that don't get a chance to shine in the spotlight? The unsung gurus that don't get as much attention as they deserve? The ignored greats such as Robertg0123, BUDOKAI12, Vondar and Blak Magik.

I think it's time for an experiment of sorts. In the days to come I will throw in my chips along these fine individuals and put together a Byond game as well! And not the parody example I typed several days ago, either. I really will put together a game, and document my progress and road blocks on this very journal. The term "put together" is very important here because I'm not creating any ordinary game.

I'm going to create a rip. Not another DBZ:Relegr8 like Elation, but a REAL rip. I will do my best to make sure that very little (if any) of the source is my own material, although I will be sensible enough to point out what I use and where. If the owner has a serious problem with me including something then I'll remove it without argument. This is for fun. I'll also host compiled versions as things begin to fit together, so that people can try out what others have made and I just rearranged.

Wish me luck!
Yay for Sarm!
Luck level up!
<_<
SSJ 556 DON'T BURN OFF UR EYEBROWZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZ
Watch this game own all the other rips.
Good luck, Sarm!
I feel insulted because I come to mind when you think of a BYOND guru.
???

I didn't mean anything derogatory by it. I'm sorry if it really bothered you.
No, I'm just being difficult because I'm bored. And the honest truth is that, for someone with 5+ years of experience in DM programming, I really suck at it, so calling me a "guru" is just wrong. In reality, I'm just a graphics artist.
Okay. Graphic guru then. :P
Edit: I was toying with the idea of reviving this "project" and see how much longer I could take it, too.
You could revive this project, but bend the rules a bit, and work on a non-rip for someone who has never been able to get one of his game concepts off the planning stage since his introduction to BYOND, almost four years pervious.

Someone like this guy.
Bend the rules? You must be joking!
The only proper way to revive the rip is to do the unthinkable... :)
I have wanted to do a project that is similar to this for a long time. My idea was simple, create a game using as many libraries as possible. I wanted to create an entire game with only a few pages of code, letting libraries handle all the dirty work. I never did get around to it.
How about another study, then. Older BYOND members who can code, helping other older members who can't.

Again, this applies to the guy aforementioned.
...Yeah, funny you should describe it that way. If I do continue it, you'll be pleased.