ID:1426945

This is a message to all those who make or support "fangames".

I think many game developers, including mainstream industry professionals, who make games based on something else tend to entirely miss the point of making games to begin with. This includes those who make games based on anything from anime to movies to even toys. When you compare these kinds of games with ones that are completely original within the same genres, you will probably notice that in most cases the original ones have much better gameplay and are more fun in general.

I would say that this is because most of the developers of games based around other things make the mistake of focusing more on the "universe" or "atmosphere" of their games than the actual gameplay itself.

An important factor that contributes to the inferior gameplay and design of these games in the mainstream is the "insurance policy" provided by the existing fanbase. Developers know that they can get away with relatively worse gameplay, and still get fans of the IPs to buy their games. This is the sad reality of the situation, and the resulting games often end up being termed "shovelware".

Basically, you shouldn't even be asking whether you should make an original game or "fan" game, if you don't already have the gameplay down to begin with. The whole point of making a game is for players to experience the gameplay, and neither original nor anime based represents any kind of description of the actual gameplay. This is something that most people on BYOND just don't understand, and I think this would be a much nicer place if they did.

What I'm trying to say is that you need to come up with and develop the game's core systems before you even think about what kind of world, characters or storyline it might have. You need to recognize that the gameplay itself is always going to be separate from any of the specific objects that make the world unique. If your code isn't modular enough that you could reuse the engine to make a completely different game in the same genre, then you are doing something wrong.
These are the kinds of questions you need to be asking:

What genre/s will my game fall under?
What will players be doing in my game?
How will players interact with the world and each other?
How will the world react when players interact with it?
How will NPCs behave and respond?
What objects or tools can players use, and what functions will they have?

All of these questions can be answered without actually knowing anything about your game's particular world, characters, or events. Predicting what features would be useful for a particular kind of world, and implementing those is fine, as long as they are made to be generic and modular enough to be used in any number of games. Just make sure you are not wasting time dwelling on what your game is going to "be about", instead of developing the gameplay itself. You can think about all of that after you have a fully working engine. Following these rules should make anyone a better game developer.

When people here say that they prefer original games, it's not only because they are just tired of anime games, but because they know original games almost always end up with better gameplay and design than a game based around something else would. I should point out that there is a difference between making a game based off of something and making a game in the style of something. For example, if your game already has solid gameplay and design, and you want it to have an anime art style or generic anime elements like certain combat styles, that should be perfectly fine, as long as it isn't something specific to a certain IP.

Honestly, I think it would be best to just make something completely original, because your own imagination has more potential than anything others have come up with.
I think you might be preaching to the choir here. What narto devs are gonna read this and think, "I need to change my ways?"

Besides, stealing all your ideas from somewhere else cuts down immensely on development time and meanwhile gains you instant recognition from other fans. It's a win-win situation for everyone who doesn't mind playing games that completely suck!
In response to Magicsofa
Fan-games don't have to suck, it's just that most fan-games on BYOND are made from a handful of sucky fan-games.
@Kaio: Fan-games...from a handful of sucky fans*? Just curious as to what you really meant.

@OP: I think they're likely to draw attention to people right off the bat. But, in the long-term most fan-games have died a horrible death. I've practically watched all of them die.

However, original games tend to live long, continue to be updated (because, heck, it's based off original ideas. No need for episodes), but are really hard to get attention. If they start off good, 9 times out of 10 the game will stay good if they constantly give good updates. Primarily because, what do you expect? A surprise of course. In a fan-game, what do you expect? The next episode's contents. Already seen it. Boring. I think I'll quit now.

This is just my view on this. Sorry, if it goes against anyone else's opinion.

P.S. I TLDR'd. I read the first line and the title. Just being honest.
In response to Xirre
I meant what I said. A handful of (sucky) fan-games have their sources spread around and end up causing new programmers to have no clue what they're doing, and create a bunch of awful fan-game rips.
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:
In a fan-game, what do you expect? The next episode's contents.

Do fan games really have storylines pulled directly from the show on an episode-by-episode basis? I never got past logging in...
In response to Kaiochao
Lol. I was right to make sure and ask.
In response to Magicsofa
Yeah, uhm.. They don't have a story line. Just a bunch of jutsus, for naruto, that you train to obtain. For bleach it's more like kill one thing, get opd, choose a class; hollow, human, quincy, etc. Finished game. For DBZ.. I've seen some variations. DBZ has always had a higher standard. Especially as an anime that is loved by many. There's some DBZ games that are like bleach, with the choosing a class, killing 1 NPC and gaining loads of XP, and bam.. you're OPd. Then, there's some with quests and a decent story line. It doesn't go in to full details, with the story line, but it's decent.
In response to Magicsofa
Me going off topic in the off topic section: I just want to get in to making 3D games. I need to get off Linux ASAP so I can use some good engines. I tried 3D Modeling. Seems fun. I made a friend on Youtube who does a ton of GIAW by himself. What really sparked my interest what his replica of Minecraft. While it didn't have all the features of it, you could build a few blocks, fight, and it had the animals and characters. Was really interesting. Especially since Unity added a bit of shading.. So it looked like "high-graphics-pixel-blocks" instead of just.. blocks with pixels on them. Lol. i guess it was the blending. of the colors from the engine's rendering system. But, heck, what do I know? I only made a stat panel and a targetting system in Unity. ._. Pretty much still a noob at programming in general.