ID:1428463

Is local game hosting still plagued with router problems?

I'd like to be able to facilitate a smooth co-op environment using player computers as hosts for their parties. I haven't tried anything yet, but I do remember having to apply acrobatics to get a local server up.

I prefer not to try this if I have to tell every player they have to apply technical knowledge to go co-op.
Like any application that hosts something, it requires ports be open in the firewall/router. If you call Googling how to open a port on your router technical knowledge then yes.
Thank you. & yes, I think it is technical from the perspective of the casual gamer.
As far as I know, it only ever took a Google or two.
If you're hosting internally on LAN you don't need to open any ports on the router only on the firewall if you have one.

Ports on a router are made to allow or block access to external users not internal.
If you can't or won't port forward, you can use programs like Hamachi.
I wanted the experience to be as simple as an in-game invitation sent -> accepted -> seamless connection. Anything else would make it less appealing to me. I'll find another way, maybe a server to host multiple co-op instances. Thanks for the help guys.
Local via LAN, you don't need anything technical, but for a live game to be connected to(ie: somebody connecting from a different household) would require some technical work.
You want UPnP
In response to Murrawhip
In response to DarkCampainger
DarkCampainger wrote:
No one wants UPnP.

Which is down to the device implementation, not software like BYOND utilizing your router's features that are there regardless.