ID:1431618

Anyone look at using Amazon (AWS) for hosting BYOND games? Is it possible and viable?
Well, nm cause I now have Frontline Assault running on a free AWS server. It's turn based so I was able to pick the micro instance and it's running great so far.
How's the performance? Does Amazon give you an option on where the servers are geographically located?
Yeah, you can pick locations all over the world. Performance is up to your wallet.
EC2 is pretty expensive, but you can get a micro instance for free for a year. http://aws.amazon.com/free/
You can pretty much put it all in the same region if you like. If you're a clever sausage, you'll work out a way to HTTP POST and start talking to their database offerings, like DynamoDB, as opposed to savefiles for anything.
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
You can pretty much put it all in the same region if you like. If you're a clever sausage, you'll work out a way to HTTP POST and start talking to their database offerings, like DynamoDB, as opposed to savefiles for anything.

Actually I was looking into that via MySQL and SQL Express and reading one of your posts about it yesterday. I didn't look into DynamoDB yet. I was thinking about putting together a basic demo using AWS.
Just occurred to me that a central db would allow other applications and services to easily interact with data so handling transactions between something like paypal could be automated without the problems that come with communicating via client/topic. I'd love to get that working as well.
Yeah, stuff like DynamoDB is good for it mostly due to the lack of required schema (so you can add fields to specific objects but not others of the same 'type/table' if you fancy etc), and it's reasonably concurrent without locking. You can read stale data, but for many applications that's alright.
Good stuff.

I just dove off the deep end into PayPals micro transactions via their business account applications.

I've got the REST API working with node.js. Going to see if I can get it working within a simple BYOND sample.

Efforts will resume tomorrow if the food coma doesn't get in the way. :)