ID:14378

Day 2

Last time, on "Making a Rip", I began by opening up Zilal's RPG tutorial and typed up a lot of nonsense that really just amounted to 20% of a single page of DM. If only I could have applied such stretching ability to school papers! I didn't supply a compiled version because all anyone would be able to do is talk; we have Wiz_Chat or Converse to do that. I also found out that Zilal was actually female. My beliefs of "there are no women on the internet" break apart just a little more every day.

Anyway, today I'm making my first map. This is my favorite part, because this is really the only thing I know how to do. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I can make my own working Proelium maps without a single line of the game's source code. And for all you pervs out there, I'm physically incapable of tooting my own horn anyway because my back just can't bend that far.

For the acute among you, you probably noticed that I just spent a page talking and I still haven't made a map yet. I'll do it now.

Time to make a map for our world. Under the File menu, choose "New..." again and make a new "Map File (.dmp)" named "Testworld".

Done.

Same name as our environment.

No it's not...

Remember the environment?

Yep.

So why aren't you recycling, hot shot?

Because it's easier to just throw it in the trash and LEAVE ME ALONE YOU DON'T KNOW MY PAIN! *CUT CUT*

Now that I'm done abusing the Enter key, I look back at the tutorial and Zilal is asking me to just hit "Okay" and not change the size of the map. Okay. I realized I made a mistake earlier by giving my grass tile an icon state name, so it didn't work right away. After that problem was remedied, Dream Maker gave me my default map!

P! X! BYONBYONBYONBYONBYONBYONBYONBYON... If you're ever in a bad mood, just copy a random 32x32 spot on a webpage and tile it like this. A great pick-me-up for the easily amused. Zilal says my map should be all green. Liar. The map is like this because I specified that the default turf would be..."that", so I don't have to spend any time doing it myself. How devious of us indeed, Miss Zilal. In my best Mr. Burns voice, "Excellent..."

Zilal wants me to try running the game, and conveniently left out the part where I don't even get to play as a Byond logo because she didn't tell me that I had to specify icon states for players. Grrr. How can I make these proc thingies myself when I don't even know how to program???

Oh, thanks Zilal! I'll just take this for a moment. Copy, paste, compi-AAAH WHAT HAPPENED HERE?

loading Best Tutorials For a.dme
Best Tutorials For a.dm:24:error:say :duplicate definition
Best Tutorials For a.dm:5:error:say :previous definition

Best Tutorials For a.dmb - 2 errors, 0 warnings (double-click on an error to jump to it)

What do I do? What do I do? My game's ruined! RUINED! I think I'll just give up now and steal Shades's Elysium source, because this is too hard! Or I could just ask the developer forums. That's what they're there for, right? To deal with questions like this.

I didn't know which one to pick, so I took a wild swing and landed on Code Problems. Then it hit me; everyone on the forums whines so much about people saying "something is wrong with my code" WHEN IT'S RIGHT THERE IN THE FORUM NAME! No put code in title, ungh.

Fun fact: I almost mistakenly hit Post instead of Preview. Boy would that have been embarassing, and I could have pissed off a moderator thinking that I was trying to waste space on the forum. Later, I thought it would be fun to have a "parody" help request but I don't know if the mods would have taken kindly to that. Better safe than sorry.

Anyway, I find out that I can doubleclick an error to jump to it. Why didn't anyone tell me about this in the first place? I swear, Dream Maker is the most unfriendly piece of software I've ever had to use.

Duplicate definition, previous definition...oooooh, when I copied from the tutorial, I added the Say verb twice. Build, compile, it works now! After having fun moving a big blue logo that was chopped at the edges, I decided to close Dream Seeker and go back to the tutorial.

You've been a very fidgety student and I have considered calling your parent, but that's not what the comment is about.

No don't.

In the next episode, Sarm adds variables! I've included a zipped compile of what I have so far, but really all you can do is move in 8 directions and click the Say verb, which is still an improvement over only being able to talk but not by much. If you download it now, something is very wrong with you.
Thats the best game on BYOND Good job sarm <_<
Probably a good choice not to abuse the developer forums like that.

Next time you run into an error, please don't think about it. Come over to one of my hub entries' forums and post a message. Don't worry about which one to choose, they'll all be the wrong place for it. When I find it, I'll throw some jargon at you in a condescending manner. Just skim over that post, and wait for someone to throw your code back at you with enough colons to make it compile.

I just want you to get the full experience; if you're going to do this experiment, do it right.
This is great man, keep going. When I first looked at that screenshot, I thought you really DID post. That would have been funny. Everyone would have been like "lol rofl lol noob fag lol"*

*From Pure Pwnage episode 1
IainPeregrine..wtf.