ID:144102

Sorry if this problem has been brought up before, but I doubt it.

In Impulse Tracker (.IT) songs, there is an effect for jumping to a pattern in the song. It's very useful for making a song loop to a particular place you want it to. For example, a song may have an intro, then a main tune that loops indefinitely. You can use the "B[xx]"(B = "jump to", [xx] = number of pattern) effect to tell the player to jump to the beginning of the main tune instead of looping back and playing the intro again.

BYOND seems to ignore the "B[xx]" effect, and does not jump to the specified pattern when this effect is used in the song file.

Is there a way to make BYOND recognize this effect? I would very much appreciate any thoughts on this :)
Shinkinrui wrote:
Sorry if this problem has been brought up before, but I doubt it.

In Impulse Tracker (.IT) songs, there is an effect for jumping to a pattern in the song. It's very useful for making a song loop to a particular place you want it to. For example, a song may have an intro, then a main tune that loops indefinitely. You can use the "B[xx]"(B = "jump to", [xx] = number of pattern) effect to tell the player to jump to the beginning of the main tune instead of looping back and playing the intro again.

BYOND seems to ignore the "B[xx]" effect, and does not jump to the specified pattern when this effect is used in the song file.

Is there a way to make BYOND recognize this effect? I would very much appreciate any thoughts on this :)

BYOND should respect the B flag if you have the repeat flag turned on when playing the sound. E.g., sound('song.it', repeat=1). Otherwise, it will ignore all loop instructions.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Thanks very much for the reply :) Unfortunately, BYOND doesn't appear to be behaving as you described. I have the repeat flag turned on, and the B flag set to pattern 03, but instead of going to pattern 03, it jumps right back to pattern 00.

The B flag works fine in both of the two Impulse Tracker editors I tried this on(ChibiTracker and SchismTracker).

Is it something I'm doing wrong? Here's a link to the .IT file in question:

http://www.ffanotherworld.com/tempstuff/mysidia.IT

The B flag is used at the very end of pattern 44. I even put it in every channel just to make sure.

Thanks again!

p.s. I am using the latest version of BYOND(the 355 build that came out on March 7th- BYOND pager reports my version of BYOND is up to date).
In response to Shinkinrui
I have come up with an imperfect solution to this, but I don't like it.

I split the song into 2 parts- the intro and the main tune. I play the intro with no repeat, and while it's playing, put the main tune in queue on the same channel on repeat. This way, the intro plays once, and then the main tune plays repeatedly.
usr << sound('mysidia-in.IT',0,0,1)
usr << sound('mysidia-main.IT',1,1,1)

There are 2 problems with this solution.

1) In modular files like these, the main bulk of the file size is taken up by the samples that are used in the song(the instruments, basically). Since all the samples need to be stored in each file, this "split the song into 2 files" solution essentially doubles the space needed for the song, and makes the resource package for the world much bigger than it needs to be.

2) There's a slight "skip" during the playback both between the 2 files and when the main tune repeats.

I thought I'd try the IT format for FF5:AW because the quality can be higher than midis, plus .IT would allow the song to repeat the way I want it to. But if I can't get my .IT files to play the way I want them to in BYOND, the slight increase in quality is not worth the extra bulk in the resource package. Not really a big deal, but I'm holding out hope that there is a way to make it work and I'm just missing it somehow. Thanks again for taking the time to reply :)