ID:1457709

I remember this one from 2010, on my old BYOND account:

http://www.byond.com/members/ BeignetLover?command=view_post&post=139954&first_unread=1

It's a little embarrassing to come back 3 years later and find out "Loduwijk" was right. :P
I can't think of any newbie threads I've made. I can say in my earlier years on BYOND, I posted a lot of trolling and fairly detailed homoerotic comments -- most of which I assumed I got rid of, but it seems with this recent bug a good portion of them have returned. So, you know ... it's always nice to see how annoyingly immature I was during my teenage years. Eventually, Tom bestowed upon me the gift of maturity ( which you can clearly see if you compare my present self to my past self ).
http://www.byond.com/members/ D4RK354B3R?command=view_post&post=267902&first_unread=1

We all went through that sort of phase, one time or another.
When I first started here, I Had The Bad Habit Of Capitalizing Every Single Darn Word I Typed. I liked the sound my shift key made, so I hit it whenever I got the chance. It took over a month for the oldbies to beat it out of me :)

http://www.byond.com/members/ DarkCampainger?command=view_post&post=174340

Sorry Garthor, I was young and foolish!
I can't find anything particularly embarrassing. Posting poop in the forums wasn't my main method of learning the basics. Maybe someone else can find something. The key I used for forum posting first was SSJ-Chao, and I was probably around 11 at the time.
I deleted all of my most embarrassing posts. Some of the early posts that remain are a little bad, but not bad enough for me to bother deleting. Some of you may remember BYOND Conquerors. For those that do, I consider those to be my most embarrassing posts.

This post did get me an embarrassing little mention about my ignorance of the old guilds on the Tech Tree. You'll see I made another stupid statement there. I'm amazed that I've remembered that to this day.

[Edit]
I just remembered a post I had forgotten about. This is a pretty embarrassing post for me. While at the time I was pretty pissed at Silkwizard, I think his comments were perfectly accurate now that I look back.
I was not tech savvy. Read through the comments for the hilarity.
In response to Kumorii
LOL- you win. Don't know anyone that can top that. Unless.. No, Whybe/Dr.Penguin wouldn't post on here; he still thinks his posts are serious questions that in no way show lack of intellect.
In response to NNAAAAHH
NNAAAAHH wrote:
LOL- you win. Don't know anyone that can top that. Unless.. No, Whybe/Dr.Penguin wouldn't post on here; he still thinks his posts are serious questions that in no way show lack of intellect.

Marry me?
In response to Albro1
Albro1 wrote:
http://www.byond.com/members/ Albro1?command=view_post&post=181704&first_unread=1

:|

Tee Hee.

I don't really have an embarrassing topic that I can remember, though I do remember going on a chat room on BYOND called "The Saloon".

Whilst I was there, for three consecutive days I begged Gooseheaded to help me make a Yu-Gi-Oh! duelling system.

Ohhhh the times.

I think I chased him away; he's never on anymore :'(
In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
I deleted all of my most embarrassing posts. Some of the early posts that remain are a little bad, but not bad enough for me to bother deleting. Some of you may remember BYOND Conquerors. For those that do, I consider those to be my most embarrassing posts.

This post did get me an embarrassing little mention about my ignorance of the old guilds on the Tech Tree. You'll see I made another stupid statement there. I'm amazed that I've remembered that to this day.

[Edit]
I just remembered a post I had forgotten about. This is a pretty embarrassing post for me. While at the time I was pretty pissed at Silkwizard, I think his comments were perfectly accurate now that I look back.
Yut Put on that thread:
If BYOND was the way you saw it, with the majority of top games would be masterpeices like Regressia. I'd see it in line with Yoyogames. But I'm afraid the thing that prevents our eager developers from being able to publish anything close to it is the lack of a visual language. I'm not saying BYOND needs one, in fact, it may decrease the learning value the program has. But if you look at games published via GM, you see a higher quality. I don't blame the community, the site, or the staff. BYOND's issue is in front of us. I blame the attention spans of the 13 year olds that consume the community.

I agree on some points, most people joining BYOND are people who are age 11-13 and don't want to accept that it takes effort and knowledge to make an online game. I remember joining BYOND at age 12, wanting to make a Harry Potter RPG game, and saw there were quite a few online, already. I already had my own ideas, but I saw games like Hogwarts: a History and The Wizard's Chronicles and decided to follow suit. I had a phobia for coding, though, so my game was just ZBT's tutorial with different icons and renamed verbs.

What BYOND needs to do isn't to make it more easy for kids, though. They need to appeal to people to experienced programmers. Give us more control over the engine. The fact that collision and rendering is already done for us is great, but do we really need to be forced to make a bird's eye view RPG UNLESS you make some really pain-in-the ass adjustments? When you want to make your own game, you shouldn't have to find loopholes in the engine, or disable things, you should just have to make your things and not worry about anything else.
I'm not trying to be an asshole, but how is that even relevant to this thread?

Anyways, I don't really recall having any "embarrassing" moments. It was quite easy for me to adapt to the language, but if you guys find any posts where I asked a stupid question, feel free to post it here. My first key was Smizzle. :P
I think programmers have embarrassing moments all the time. I know I have those, "WHY ISN'T THIS CODE WORKI-... Oh... I mean to put '+=' not '='... Derp..."
In response to Magnum2k
Magnum2k wrote:
I'm not trying to be an asshole, but how is that even relevant to this thread?

1. Discussions evolve.
2. The main focus of the thread can still continue with that topic also being discussed.
3. I was referring to something someone said on a linked relevant thread.
In response to GamerMania
DM can do much more than just a top-down RPG, and it doesn't take many painful adjustments. You just need to think outside the box.

Making a sidescroller merely requires you to create a control for gravity.

Make a board game.
Make an isometric game.
Make a 3/4ths perspective game (Rather than top-down).

You can even make a text-based game.

BYOND wasn't built with the intention of being used for top-down RPGs, that's just what exploded.
I'm not going to deviate from the main point of this thread and turn it into an argument, so this will be my last statement. Whether you choose to argue is entirely up to you.

I understand what you're saying. The engine has its issues. Believe or not, we get several apprehensions from people every month underlining similar issues like what you've described, and it's good because it shows how insightful the community is, but sometimes we just need to give it a rest because, well, simply discussing it doesn't get us very far.

He's just responding to my old post which I labeled as embarrassing. It covered my thoughts on the BYOND engine and its community and the games that aren't being made for it. Due to the fact that I'm not as naive as I was three years ago, I would never write a post like that now. It's full of logical fallacies, ignorant statements, and ludicrous analogies. I didn't intend to use it to make a conversation out of its topic.
Page: 1 2 3 4