ID:1478401

Problem description:

Hey.
Since v500 I've been keeping an eye on the kind of stuff that's been getting created with the additions to DM

However, I haven't really joined in on using matrices, or much of anything else added. I'd like to start making use of this stuff but.. I don't really understand it.

I've been searching lightly for some explanations as to how all this works, and I don't see much.

Anyone care to explain a bit how this stuff works?

I basically understand that there's a /matrix datum, which can be used to create some nice effects.

I know there are some procs like Scale() for it, and when the /matrix object is added to an atom's transform variable the effects are applied.

I've used it very lightly but that's about it, I'm looking for a more in depth, fundamental explanation about how these work and maybe a few examples of them in action.

Thanks.
http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1477206

Learn some basic algebra and you will be able to tackle these in no time.
Ah, that does help a bit. I think this kind of thing is going to take some experimenting to truly understand it. I feel a bit iffy about multiplying matrices together and keeping track of what modifications have already been done to them.

Like, how would Translate() be better than just setting pixel_x/y values? Or maybe I just don't understand Translate() very well.

animate() feels vague to me, but I haven't looked for much on it in the guide yet.

Thanks for the link, Ter13.