SSGX: Well, you are right that the targeted muscle gain would be about the same as in normal weight situations, there are some side effects that might not be mentioned but could only be reproduced under increased Gs.

The main one that comes to mind is a stronger heart and lungs.

Even under the most stressful situations, there is nothing that compares to the added Gs to make the heart work harder. As it stands, your heart has to beat gravity to pump blood through your entire body. When you increase the Gs that your body is dealing with, your heart starts working harder, and like any other muscle, it becomes stronger.

The same goes for lungs. Even just laying down while in increased Gs will cause your lungs to work much harder for the air they need. From what I hear, strong lungs are fundamental to fast and powerful people.

You also have the advantage of having almost every muscle in the body having an increase in usage. Muscles that are hard to work on will be used by the body under these conditions.

There are, however, some potential drawbacks. Heart fatigue and weak bones are too potential problems. I am not sure how much of a problem they would be, but there is a good chance that all that weight on the bones might cause damage.

I would guess that there is only one way to find out and I don't have one of those spinny machines on hand.
If you would be so kind to purchase me a "spiny machine" I would be glad to test your theory :-).
I'd like to point out that even though SSGX might be somewhat true about the same effect being able to happen while working out on earth, gravity training would work out your entire body, without stop.
Oh, good point!

Increased gravity would strengthen all of the involuntary muscles in the body more than normal conditions ever could...

While we're at it, we might as well crank up the air pressure a bit in our chamber... This would further strengthen the lungs (and probably heart as well, as increased pressure on the surface of the body would mean increased blood pressure, which would make the heart work harder)...

So, I guess this type of training would result in a better athlete... Just not in the obvious way...

As for the drawbacks, if the effect were increased gradually enough, the body would build up against the strain... Bones would become stronger, and as you said, so will the heart...
I don't see why this isn't used now! I would live in it O_O.
This could be useful for every day living. Imagine getting the workout while surfing the web. You could just stand there and watch TV, and still get a great increase to your overall health. Heck, you could sit in a chair and still get a lot of benefit.

I suppose it is just my lazy mind's way of figuring out ways to get out of actually exercising.
Well even if we had the technology, getting a gravitron installed in your room would cost probably tens of thousands of dollars, and that's AFTER mass production.
Which is why I have a sweatshop in my basement currently making me one.
back in the good old days of child labor.......
I like how the people here would rather spend money on a 100k machine than, you know, get a boflex or something. Maybe atmospheric changes could produce better athletes, but not being an athelete, I think I'll stick to exercising in front of the TV :)
I like how the people here would rather spend money on a 100k machine than, you know, get a boflex or something. Maybe atmospheric changes could produce better athletes, but not being an athelete, I think I'll stick to exercising in front of the TV :)

No =( they would be the same because of said atmouspheric changes.
The problem with building one now is the size needed to simulate gravity. The simulated force doesn't actually pull you down, it pulls you to the side; that's why they had you lie down inside that ride (from the perspective of the surface your body was against, not from the perspective of earths gravity; you were actually "standing up" from the perspective of earth's gravity). Had you tried to stand up in that ride, you wouldn't have been pulled down, you would have been pulled over.

In order to simulate gravity, the size of the contraption would have to increase relative to the size of the subject (you). I remember reading somewhere that the size of such a contraption would have to be around 1.4Km before a human could stand up and feel like she was being pulled 'down'... can't remember where I read that, though :/
I have seen people stand in there, and it is a bit odd, but the forces involved do simulate gravity. I was in one with no inside attendant(great idea there) and there where kids running on the pads. It was far from natural to them, but entirely possible. You will also note that the seats are tilted so that you are at the right angle for the speed to balance the pull down and the pull out.
Danial.Beta wrote:
I have seen people stand in there, ... the seats are tilted

We must be talking about two different rides. The one I'm familiar with is a 3m wide cylinder with a pillar in the middle. The entire thing resembles an upright washing machine on it's final spin cycle. Standing up relative to the surface of the cylinder (against the 'gravity' we're trying to simulate) would be impossible.

Here's someone else's take on theTurkish Twist. I was suprised to find this page, as the ride is just a little something off to the side in a little local amusment park; I wasn't expecting to actually get any results from a search.
Ahh yes, it is similar to that, but what I am talking about is enclosed, normally going by "UFO" or something to that degree. You lay on a bed of sorts, with no straps. As it speeds up the bed(which is on tracks) slides up until it hits the top. At no time are you strapped in.
That is the one I rode. What kind of machine would pull you down though? How would it do that? Just spin? What direction?
Its not an increase in gravity its syntrifical motion. This makes you stick to the outside wall. A long time ago they had one of these where you had a bungie chord and it was a big spinning tower. While it was spinning you could literally walk up to the top. Therefor unless they are standing on the wall, it will do very little for them.
We know it isn't gravity, but the physical effects are nearly identical. That's why that are called Gs.

You mesure centrifugal force in relation to gravity. 1G=How much gravity pulls you down. So if you where spinning with a centrifugal force of 1G, then you would need to be angled at a 45degree angle from the ground. This would balance out the centrifugal force pushing this way < with the gravitational force pulling this way V.

As a result, you would be able to stand up and feel as if you were standing straight up, even though you where at a 45 degree angle.

I am not sure how many Gs that will add up to though. I believe it would balance out to 1G total, because the 2Gs pulling on you would cancel the other out to one solid G, but I could be totally wrong on that. I am not a physicist and never plant to be. Nor have I looked up much information on centrifuges(A device specificity made to create centrifugal force).
Page: 1 2