ID:1488082

Not Feasible
Applies to:Website

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
Bring back BYOND Guild, where you can create your own guild on BYOND Website like before.
I wish, I sent through a support request in regards to this asking if I could have the code to host separately from BYOND, leaving intact the database stuff so mods could modify it.

No response though.
Nadrew resolved issue (Not Feasible)
++ i would enjoy this feature as a person that is not a oldie and don't know how the BYOND system worked before.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:

Not sure why it's "Not Feasible" did Tom lose the code completely? ..
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
Nadrew wrote:

Not sure why it's "Not Feasible" did Tom lose the code completely? ..

Because the site has been more or less rehauled, and the old system would no longer be feasible, especially with the complete removal of blogs.
In response to A.T.H.K
The actual request was marked Not Feasible, not your reply to it. I don't imagine that being remotely feasible either though considering how tied-in the database stuff was.

Probably just easiest to make it all yourself from the ground up.
In response to Nadrew
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Because the site has been more or less rehauled, and the old system would no longer be feasible,

True although the code is probably still present on here just inactive or has been removed but still in SVN or whatever Tom uses.. I doubt it's literally gone forever.

especially with the complete removal of blogs.

Stupidest idea ever in my opinion especially since they are pretty much begging for money....

Nadrew wrote:
The actual request was marked Not Feasible, not your reply to it. I don't imagine that being remotely feasible either though considering how tied-in the database stuff was.

Yea my bad, in a rush reading the posts..

Probably just easiest to make it all yourself from the ground up.

Which I've thought about a few times, probably will do it soon ish, although this won't benefit BYOND at all, unless I target Members only....
In response to A.T.H.K
I'll contact you with an idea I had a while back about this stuff when I have a more stable connection. We might be able to help each other out.
Fuuuuuuu! I want it back -.-"
I have no interest in bringing this back. While the guilds were an interesting concept, they ended up segregating the website and causing an influx of new features that distracted from the actual software. I realize that we are at a lull in traffic at the moment but we are more focused and have some things on the way.

Tom
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
I'll contact you with an idea I had a while back about this stuff when I have a more stable connection. We might be able to help each other out.

Can I receive a copy of your idea? I've been thinking about setting up a website for developers full of guides and tutorials and blogs, and providing custom blogs for BYOND Members (again) may be a good incentive for people to donate.
In response to Sir Lazarus
Sir Lazarus wrote:
I've been thinking about setting up a website for developers full of guides and tutorials and blogs, and providing custom blogs for BYOND Members (again) may be a good incentive for people to donate.

This idea is far better than bringing the blogs back here. Having people blogging (outside of this website) about their own experiences with the software could be a great way to advertise it. Everyone on BYOND needs to go BeYOND this website, and branch out into the world. Maybe then people will recognize BYOND as a platform, and not just a website.

In the past, BYOND games were much more anchored and restricted to this site, which resulted in certain things becoming too centralized. Even with the introduction of the standalone client, these perceptions still tend to exist, which is a problem. This problem can be fixed simply by using the standalone client to upload games to other sites, and branching out and talking about BYOND outside of this site.

In other words, if we do the right things, BYOND will go viral and save itself.
I already registered the domain names byondev.com and byonddev.com for this purpose, and so far I've received a couple of e-mails from people who are anxious to help out with designing my website if I pay $$$$. =P

If anyone else is interested in this idea I'd be happy to brainstorm about it.
To say this is not feasible given the developers have complete access to the source code exhibits nothing but sheer laziness. Even native 3d is feasible albeit a lot more difficult than bringing back an old feature as well as entailing progressional repercussion from other features, though bringing back guilds should be a cakewalk.

They're either lazy or don't yet want it back, simple. According to the aforementioned quote, they aren't wanted back.
Well that does seem a little too simplistic, actually.

What you're describing is "Not possible", which isn't the state it's been given. Not feasible, means it is not doable within the resource, time, requirement and aims that the developers have. Regardless of the developer's desire (or not) for it.

I want to go sky-diving, however I also have a number of more pressing issues (like rent), so I don't have the finance to implement that, and I'm not going to become homeless in order to have a crack at sky-diving, as that happens to violate some requirements I have as a person. This doesn't mean "I'm lazy or I don't want it", it just means I don't presently (or in the near future) have the means, it's ... not feasible, for me, at that point in time.

It's not feasible, in terms of BYOND's roadmap. i.e it conflicts with the developer set aims that BYOND is a legacy suite of software, with some good value, which the developers are looking to fix bugs on, and implement improvements that might improve the scalability of BYOND for certain kinds of scenarios. Website overhauls or new website features do not really sit inside of those developer aims. They don't particularly fit inside of the financial, platform growth or developer support requirements, either. If they did, we wouldn't have been seeing quite such a decline in income in the previous iterations that had this feature.

This is a new website feature request, basically. The degree of code preserved from the previous iteration reduces some cost to implementation, however not much, on the grounds the website has moved on from that iteration, and so any redundant code being brought back will stand a fair chance of requiring fixes, refactoring etc.

Given that, this feature can really only sit in one of two states. Either it can join the 1000+ open feature requests and be in the 'Open' state, or it can be marked 'Not Feasible', and inform the requester that it's not in the roadmap, and so, won't be done.
A big factor in this is that this can already be implemented by members of the community if we just work together!

I think I'm going to develop BYOND(D)ev on my own and invite others to assist with content management / brainstorming. If anyone would like to help out I'm all ears!