ID:1503814

(See the best response by Neblim.)
Issue:I have been trying to learn coding off and on for over a year and a half.. I guess its hard for me to understand after reading the DM Reference on where do I start? Whats first? Its even hard to get the coding down. I am wanting to learn how to code in byond no matter what, but I just need some one to either tutor me, give me some techniques on how to understand the reference and learn coding, or show me a tutorial that will help with basic and advanced coding.

If you're not down with reading boring things, set an objective and try to do it. Use F1 to search for things that might help. Alternatively there are resources that can give you an idea of how to do things. ZBT tutorials are good starting spots.
Its not that I am not down to read it its just I cant get it to sink in when I do. I am more of see it actually happen and learn from it.
The DM guide has several "try and do its" in it. Do you not read them all the way through?
Well when I do read it through it makes me feel like I don't know where to start.
It has a Chapter 1. That might be a good place.
Are you talking about the DM Reference, also I am say where to start in the coding, not the reading...
If you want to know a technique, I think the one that will help you the most is to simply world << EVERYTHING.

Is there something you don't understand? Then world <<! Is there something you have never seen before in the reference? Then world <<!

I do mean that quite literally, because it works with almost anything.

What I'm saying is TEST EVERYTHING! This is how you will learn and understand the most.

You should start by learning everything to do with procs/verbs and how they work. Learn everything about arguments and return values. That's where you should start when it comes to the actual programming. Once you understand that, then you will be able to figure out almost everything else, just by testing it.
If you want to start code, you should make a flowchart with your objective and and a possible solution.
Best response
I was messaged by the OP for help. So I will try and attempt to assist in one post.

@Ersdfghj: I give a forewarning that I do not use DM software anymore. I actually haven't touched it in years and don't intend to for personal preference. Those personal preferences and motives are irrelevant and you should use whatever tool / engine / framework / library you feel is best suited for you.

With that being said, I want to recommend something that is being taught in accredited colleges right now as a 101 class. It's fun to sneer at something like this, but as a beginner there is nothing to sneer at. For those of us that understand these basic principles or have learned through different methods (usually reading and experimenting in other "not so interactive" ways), we tend to. Maybe it's just because we're getting old and the times are changing.

Anyway, I recommend Alice to you from your description.

http://www.alice.org/index.php

If you want to understand real concepts and fundamentals to program (for ANY language), it really is programming 101 for this era. I had to take it when I was in college, and many others are learning it today.

Not sure anyone wants to hear this, but, learning actual good programming practices I have found were outside of DM (my start was through a C++ textbook). My way of learning something maybe different than yours though, and from the description, you want something you can "feel", "touch", and "get results" at the same time understand more advanced concepts that aren't exactly taught in the language of DM itself. Sometimes concepts and philosophies are hard to grasp, especially when no one is there to guide you. I've been there, trust me.

Now you can program in DM all you want. You may even learn just as much. Or you may learn some of it, and get confused asking yourself "where do I go from here now?". Or you may learn nothing at all. The situation really is preference, and I can only assume you want to get better as a programmer, and understand you need to think, or perhaps, look outside the box that is given to you. DM, in my opinion, was not that box for me to stay in or grow from alone.

I wish you best of luck in your programming adventures and may your game/app/software be a fun experience for you.

The thing is that, that program is for 3d...
You keep saying DM Reference, but how about the DM Guide? http://www.byond.com/docs/guide/
In response to Ersdfghj
Ersdfghj wrote:
The thing is that, that program is for 3d...

That is irrelevant when it comes to basic concepts, philosophies, etc. I'm a afraid I don't understand what you want then.