ID:1504722

BYOND Version:505.1235
Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 32.0.1700.107
Applies to:Dream Seeker

A member of our crack team of bug testers has verified that this issue is reproducible, and has handed it off to the development team for investigation.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
I was just randomly doing some testing with objects, using the output, when I noticed something funny. I was looping through the objects in the world and dumping them directly to the output. When scrolling through the result, I saw that some turfs had names and others didn't, which shouldn't be the case, since they are all the same.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Compile and run the code below.

2. Click the Dump_Turfs() verb.

3. Scroll through the output, and notice all of the blank lines.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
world
maxx = 25
maxy = 25

mob
verb
Dump_Turfs()
for(var/turf/t in world.contents)
src << t

Expected Results:
The output should have displayed the name of each turf on every line, following the icon, if the turfs have icons.

Actual Results:
Some kind of strange pattern of showing the name and not showing the name on each line. The pattern breaks at some point.

When does the problem NOT occur?
The problem does NOT occur when the view is large enough to show the entire map.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked?
Untested...

Workarounds:
Simulate the default output behavior for objects, by using the \icon text macro with an object's name var.
I'm not entirely sure I follow your report. Can you provide an example of the output you're seeing? I ran some tests and I do not see blank lines with no names; I just see turf names but no icon.

It would also be helpful if you could see how far back this goes. This might be a very old bug.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I'm not entirely sure I follow your report. Can you provide an example of the output you're seeing? I ran some tests and I do not see blank lines with no names; I just see turf names but no icon.

This is literally the log for the output that resulted from the above code. Scroll down and you can see the pattern that I was talking about.

It would also be helpful if you could see how far back this goes. This might be a very old bug.

It's very old indeed! Version 355 outputs as expected. The problem seems to start right at 4.0, when the interfaces were overhauled. I don't know if it was fixed in any later versions, but I doubt it, considering that it's just as broken now as it was then.
In response to Multiverse7
Thanks. I'll see what I can find out.
In response to Lummox JR
Here is a much better example with icons, which is even more bizarre. You may need to use something like Microsoft Word to see the icons. This is an RTF, but regular WordPad doesn't like it after downloading the file. I had to copy and paste, since a regular log won't show these icons.

Edit:
Right click -> Properties -> Unblock will fix the issue with WordPad. It's a security issue from downloading the file.
Lummox JR changed status to 'Verified'
I looked into this and found that the reason for the issue is that the turf is being sent directly to output. When the client is told to output an object directly, it spits out data that it knows. Although it's being given info about the turf, it's forgetting it as soon as it arrives because the turf isn't one of its current known set. I haven't come up with a workaround yet but I will.