ID:150868

Is there a way to show a dmi icon in the browser? I have a feeling that the browser isn't compatible with the icon format, so the (not very good) solution is to convert all icons I want to show, to bmp or gif...

Please let me know, maybe I can save some work.

I have also noticed a strange behaviour with browse_rsc(). If I just supply the filename, I get an error msg. If I have a image variable, it works fine.
mob
   proc
      Test()
         var/img = 'image.bmp'
         src << browse_rsc(img,"image2.bmp")  // Works
         src << browse_rsc("image3.bmp")  // Error!
Shouldn't the second line be valid too? I read a post a while ago that it was. Posted by Tom I think.

/Andreas
</<></<>
On 7/14/01 7:30 am Gazoot wrote:
Is there a way to show a dmi icon in the browser? I have a feeling that the browser isn't compatible with the icon format, so the (not very good) solution is to convert all icons I want to show, to bmp or gif...

You are correct. We ought to automatically convert those .dmi files to .bmp format for display in the browser at least. That's easy enough to do, but it might involve some subtle problems. Hopefully a bmp file with a .dmi filename will still be readable by the browser. I'll put it on the List.

I have also noticed a strange behaviour with browse_rsc(). If I just supply the filename, I get an error msg. If I have a image variable, it works fine.
mobprocTest()var/img = 'image.bmp'src << browse_rsc(img,"image2.bmp") // Workssrc << browse_rsc("image3.bmp") // Error!
Shouldn't the second line be valid too? I read a post a while ago that it was. Posted by Tom I think.

browse_rsc() expects a file for the first argument, so try:

browse_rsc(file("image3.bmp"))

In response to Tom
On 7/14/01 8:12 am Tom wrote:

You are correct. We ought to automatically convert those .dmi files to .bmp format for display in the browser at least. That's easy enough to do, but it might involve some subtle problems. Hopefully a bmp file with a .dmi filename will still be readable by the browser. I'll put it on the List.

One problem is this doesn't address animated icons. The easiest solution would probably be to add support for gif icons in BYOND. I've actually been wanting this for awhile so I could do a nifty deck selection form in Una without doing some hacky workaround with gif copies of all the icons. 3.x stuff I assume.
In response to Air Mapster
On 7/14/01 1:28 pm Air Mapster wrote:
On 7/14/01 8:12 am Tom wrote:

One problem is this doesn't address animated icons. The easiest solution would probably be to add support for gif icons in BYOND. I've actually been wanting this for awhile so I could do a nifty deck selection form in Una without doing some hacky workaround with gif copies of all the icons. 3.x stuff I assume.

Incorporating gifs requires licensing fees. It's a patented technology.
In response to Shadowdarke
Incorporating gifs requires licensing fees. It's a patented technology.

But, PNGs on the other hand, are unlicensed. Actually, Dantom should probably look into that. PNGs have an excellent compression ratio.