ID:151350

Well, I want to finally get something done that I can show for and say "I made that!". The main thing I lack is the creativity to come up with a simple game, however. I need an idea-maker, someone that can help me out here. I would like to make some sort of game that will start off as a tiny project, and possibly expand. Any ideas? Start small here; big things come later.

If I get a large idea and try to make it, I end up doing things wrong. If I get a good base, a good starting point, add-ons shouldn't be as difficult.

EDIT: I am leaning mainly towards Action/Adventure types. Maybe fantasy? Meh.
I'll give you a bit of a warning if you're just looking to "Get something done." shouldn't be a race to put something out there to get noticed. Make sure that what you make can be easily understood by others who play it. If your game lacks good mechanics and a decent setup, your game might fall into the category of the countless other flops on the BYOND site, sitting in a perpetual state of dead.
As a long time, on-again-and-off-again game programmer, I have found that you really need to have a concrete idea of what you will do before you do it. If you don't, then not only will you lose motivation, but the project will turn out to be a mess if you are able to keep up motivation.

When I see "Action/Adventure", the first thing that comes to mind is The Legend of Zelda. So, if that sounds interesting, set about making a Zelda clone. In order to insure that you complete something, as opposed to letting a half-finished project forever clutter your hard drive, strip the Zelda concept down to its most basic level, the bare minimum needed to have it be a functioning game. Then, one by one, add features. As you add such features, think about what it is that will make people want to play your game.

I have also found that I need to set modest but firm deadlines to keep myself moving. Since I am more interested in RPGs, I say something such as that I will get a functioning map this weekend, a main menu next weekend, talking NPC's the following weekend, and so on.

Good luck to you.
In response to Pepper2000
Also when coming up for inspiration for your game, don't worry about being original, worry about being fun! If you're wanting to create an open world RPG like World of Warcraft or Runescape, don't be afraid of taking idea's from them. Using Professions, Dungeons, Ability Tree's, ect, can only make your game more entertaining. The only thing you have to worry about is when to stop, which can often be a difficult thing to judge. Games with overly complicated mechanics can become quickly confusing and a fast turn-away for new players.
Albro1 wrote:
Well, I want to finally get something done that I can show for and say "I made that!". The main thing I lack is the creativity to come up with a simple game, however. I need an idea-maker, someone that can help me out here. I would like to make some sort of game that will start off as a tiny project, and possibly expand. Any ideas? Start small here; big things come later.

If I get a large idea and try to make it, I end up doing things wrong. If I get a good base, a good starting point, add-ons shouldn't be as difficult.

EDIT: I am leaning mainly towards Action/Adventure types. Maybe fantasy? Meh.

Make a sidescrolling mmo where people pvp like a fighting game!

Free to wander the world and shryuken anything in your path...smells like entertainment to me.
In response to Danbriggs
Danbriggs wrote:
The only thing you have to worry about is when to stop

This is definitely very important, both in the planning and coding stages.

As an example, take one of my favorite classic games, Doom. It was released in the early 90s and still has an active on-line community to this day. Of course, one reason for that is because it's easy to make new levels and mods, meaning people have as much content as they can create. However the initial success was just because Doom was a spot-on game experience.

There are many things that make Doom a great game, but one particular thing probably saved it from crashing and burning. Originally iD software had planned a much different game - with episodes, characters, objectives, cutscenes, inventory items...you name it. It was still going to be fragging demons, but with tons of adventure/rpg elements. You can find much of this in the "doom bible" (google it)

Fortunately, during development, some of the guys realized that this was cluttering up the game. They wanted it to be mostly in-your-face action, maybe with a few puzzling map layouts to switch it up. They didn't need all these extra features to achieve that, and they would even detract from the action.

So, keep in mind that even one of the most famous and successful video games of all time had to be cut down because the ideas started flying willy-nilly :P