ID:151386

Just curious as to how many people prefer to use WASD in games as opposed to the directional keys.
I'm not a huge fan of WASD either, I'm more used to ZQSD, like Call Of Duty, etc. But that would be my opinion aswell.
I think this might be better suited to a blog post with an actual poll.

On topic, I prefer WASD when a game is more mouse-oriented (minecraft), but I prefer arrows keys when it's more keyboard-oriented (nethack) -- however, I definitely like having both options available, so if I can find a better way to lay everything out, then I'd like to do it that way.
In response to DivineTraveller
The thought of total key customization pops into my mind, but it'd be a bit of a hassle to implement.
In response to Raimo
On QWERTY keyboards, AZERTY's ZQSD is the same as WASD.

I have to agree with DT on this one. If there's a lot of mouse control, that's what WASD is for. Or else, it's the num pad.
For every rendition of games, whether test worlds or full releases I preferred to include WASD support through the kin. Surprisingly a lot of people didn't even know it was there.
If it doesn't conflict with any other controls, its nice to have the option.

I'm currently in the middle of renovating my game and will allow the player to pick and choose how they play on the fly. Whether playing with WASD, Arrows, or NumPad, the player will have easy access to macros built around each control system.
OMG yes. Tried out Byond games and none of the ones I tried responded to WASD. Yet all wanted me to use the mouse to click on dialogue box, inventories, monsters are some such things.. I felt dirty...
Try Troithea lots of mouse clicking and wasd
Like Dinochimpz said, I don't care about arrows vs WASD but if I have to be clicking on stuff I don't want to be using the arrows.
This was necro-bumped.

I think WASD is overrated. ESDF is far better. It feels more natural, since it lines up with the home row. It also lets your little finger rest on the "A" key, instead of CAPS LOCK, giving you easier access to a lot more keys. Do you know how annoying it is when you are playing a game that uses WASD, and when you try to chat with someone, you realize that you accidentally pressed the CAPS LOCK key?

Everyone needs to just stop the trend of WASD. It's a crime to keep using it. What works for typing should work for game controls as well.
I usually support both WASD and arrows and allow the capability of changing macros. Why force your player to play one way?
What I hate is when a game supports WASD alone, but not arrows. That's really bad design. Arrows should always be supported if movement keys are relevant to the game at all.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
What I hate is when a game supports WASD alone, but not arrows. That's really bad design. Arrows should always be supported if movement keys are relevant to the game at all.

That's exactly why I allow them both. I also, if I am not lazy, give the option to toggle one or change their keybindings. So, it's best to give the user free reign.
I think you mean free rein.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I think you mean free rein.

"The usual spelling of the phrase meaning freedom to do as one pleases is free rein, not free reign. The latter is a common misspelling, and it almost makes sense given reign‘s meaning (i.e., the exercise of sovereign power)."(http://grammarist.com/spelling/free-rein-free-reign/)

I think the exercising of sovereign power in terms of keybindings sounds about right. I love the idea of me being the ruler over my keyboard as they slave away at my sentences. But, yes. Thank you, I would have preferred to have typed free rein, the correct idiom in this case. Now that I know the difference, I'll be sure to use the correct one next time (much like ado and adieu, which people still get wrong).
My current project defaults to WASD for movement and arrow keys for directional attacks. While being able to attack in eight directions independent of your movement is useful in the combat style of the game, I also share the feeling that arrow keys should never be counted out, so I made an option to toggle it. The space bar always makes you attack in your current facing/movement direction.

After I found myself trying to adjust my preferences quickly when a situation suddenly called for more maneuverability than WASD allows for, I ended up adding a macro to switch what the arrow keys do. It's currently the center key; I'm not sure if that's super convenient or too easy to hit by accident.
In response to AlexandraErin
AlexandraErin wrote...

Well there's a blast from the past...
I never really stop tinkering with this stuff, even if that's all it is these days.
Tinkering's good. Tinkering's how I've learned almost everything I know at this point. Enjoy the membership.
Page: 1 2