ID:151522

Hey guys. I'm considering of making an e-book on Game design. Like how to make a great game and maybe some software, teaching basic languages.

What you guys think?
Gamemakingdude wrote:
What you guys think?

I'd simply ask for your qualification and education on the sectors involved (game design, object oriented programming in various languages, teaching and writing).
Go for it.
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
Gamemakingdude wrote:
What you guys think?

I'd simply ask for your qualification and education on the sectors involved (game design, object oriented programming in various languages,--

I don't believe he wrote anything about teaching various languages. Though, he didn't say anything about one specific language either. Oh well.
In response to Theironx
Theironx wrote:
I don't believe he wrote anything about teaching various languages.

Gamemakingdude wrote:
(...)teaching basic languages.

As he's using plural, I'd assume that he's talking about at least two. Not that it would matter though, as I already somewhat doubt his ability to teach a single programming language (properly).
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Creating a book on game design would be hard to do and consume quite a bit of time(studying, proofreading, final examinations). It isn't impossible, but taking a class on it would really help. Also, what would you classify as "proper"?
In response to Theironx
This is somewhat derailing the topic, so I'll let the thread fade away and keep this as my last reply on the subject (to avoid the impression of ignoring your question).

Bad programming is easy, as they say. Knowing the bare syntax of a programming lingo is only going to get you so far.
If anything you don't really have the experience to make a e-book on game programming. Due to the fact you haven't been programming long enough. I personally would just laugh at your book and not even take the time to read it. But I mean I don't read much so yeah.
Gamemakingdude wrote:
Like how to make a great game and maybe some software, teaching basic languages.

You can find many 1,000 page books on each of those topics. I suggest you narrow your scope. Start small and be specific. With a specific scope you can get into details and the resulting article could contain some real insight.

Start with something you like or are particularly familiar with. For example, if you like action movies maybe you could write an article about how to implement elements of action movies in action games on BYOND. Take advantage of the BYOND audience. You can assume people know DM so you don't have to first teach them to program before getting into the topic of interest.

If, instead, you try to write some grand, all-encompassing game development it will be most likely end up full of general statements (ex: "keep your code organized") that say very little. Keeping it specific helps your chances of finishing it and it helps your chance of making an article that people can learn from.