ID:151567

Fallout 3, a game with a very interesting battle system. Personally I've only played the game once, but if if someone were to make a Fallout 3 style game?

I personally really love the shoot target battle system in this, where it gives you a % chance of hitting particular parts of the body and damaging those parts, and just the free feeling of it. If you haven't played it, try looking it up.

It just seems like an interesting concept, and I've been playing with some ideas...

EDIT: I found an article on wikispaces:

The Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System, or V.A.T.S., plays an important part in combat. While using V.A.T.S., real-time combat is paused, and action is played out from varying camera angles in a computer graphics version of "bullet time", creating a combat system that the Bethesda developers have described as a hybrid between turn-based and real-time combat. Various actions cost action points, limiting the actions of each combatant during a turn, and both the player and enemies can target specific body areas for attacks to inflict specific injuries; head shots can be used for quick kills or blinding, legs can be targeted to slow enemies' movements, opponents can be disarmed by shooting at their weapons, and players can drive certain enemies into a berserker rage by shooting out things like antennae on various overgrown insects and combat inhibitors on armored robots. However, the use of V.A.T.S. also eliminates most of the first-person shooter elements of the game; aiming is taken over by the computer, and the player is unable to move as a means of avoiding attacks.
It could be possible, but most of those percentages were based on how far and what angle you were at when activating the V.A.T.S. (Keep in mind without isometrics there are only 8 directions you could possibly face)

I would not like to be frozen while you get the luxury of choosing what part of my body to shoot. ;p
V.A.T.S. was adapted from the earlier Fallout games. Look those up if you're interested in doing something along those, as they all used an isometric perspective which is achievable with BYOND.
In response to Ceo4eva
Hmm, so you're suggesting this game would be better suited for the new isometric technology BYOND just recently introduced?

I'm not familiar with it, and wouldn't know where to start. Perhaps there's a work-around? What if I just have turfs with slightly different heights and think of some other things that would affect angle, trajectory. It's a good reason to ask here I suppose, since here is where people can pitch ideas on how a system like the V.A.T.S could work effectively in a "cool" way.
In response to Garthor
Looking into the older games now...

EDIT:

I couldn't actually find a picture of V.A.T.S. in action in the older, isometric game, although I found some pictures of the game itself. Could you explain how it might have worked? I was thinking just a screen/window popping up with enemy picture and percentage target chance, etc.

EDIT: Also I'm curious as the the programmatic process of this. I started with a datum/dantom (nut sure) got this far:

VATS
var
list
target_list = new
New(list/target)
target_list = target

Then realized there were too many loose ends to just start from scratch. I probably need to write down all concepts first, but how might you go about creating a flexible multi purpose datum/dantum for this?
In response to Speedro
Fallout 1 and 2 were turn-based when in battle. Since turn-based in 3D is awkward without a grid system, they went with VATS.
In response to Popisfizzy
Was it targeting turn based, or like FFT (Final Fantasy Tactics) turn based?
In response to Ceo4eva
I can't agree with that, I think it's calculated depending how much space on screen body part takes, if it's far or at wrong angle, it becomes small, lowering the angle. Head even at low ranges isn't max chance to hit, while other body parts can be max at higher distances.
In response to Speedro
There is a website with all off the equasions fallout uses. search "fallout 3 geck" because i dont know the link. This site has modding tools on it but hidden in there equasions are present.