ID:151573

Hi everyone. I was just wondering about this, and figured someone out there might know...

So, is it better to set up a child, and use panes for everything you might need, or to switch views and use a Heads Up Display?

What I really want to know though, is: Which way of doing things would eat up the least amount of cpu? Which way is smoother, and more flexible or easier to manipulate?

I get the skin editor, and its easy to use thanks to Lummox Jr's guide... and I have a small recollection of a hud system I used back when... so I can do either. I'm just trying to find the best way to do it. I'm looking for any and all input, thanks.
Do you mean client.screen objects?
If yes then it depends how you handle it, I've tried making inventory, stat panel and alert windows, they were reported as laggy, while interface is nearly instant
In response to Ripiz
Right, this is what I figured. Thank you very much.
Child Panes - HUD

Both have their strengths and weaknesses. It really depends on what the game needs.
With client.screen objects, network bandwidth is usually more of a problem than processing, especially if the display is not complex.

I don't know about the interface stuff, but if you are moving around a lot of objects in client.screen and they have to move around and update smoothly for a bunch of clients, you are going to be sorely disappointed.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
Child Panes - HUD

Both have their strengths and weaknesses. It really depends on what the game needs.

Just for further clarification, Ultimatum uses both types of interfaces, the top and right panel with all the unit statuses uses a HUD while everything else are BYOND interfaces.