ID:151606

Freerunner is a recent brainchild of mine that uses concepts of freerunning and games like Prince of Persia and Mirror's Edge, but delivered in a unique way.

Lets start with the basics. Freerunner was designed with single player in mind, but will have multiplayer support(race/time attack style modes for multiplayer.) It will be a top-down style view, and will be a game of planning, timing, and hand-eye coordination.

Now, the way the player handles obstacles will be delivered in a unique way. Instead of button mashing, you will have a series of draggable "moves" on a toolbar. You will be able to link up to three of these moves at a time, and drag them onto the map exactly where you want each move performed. So, lets picture your typical bottomless chasm. Your goal is to reach the other side, so what do you do when it is too far to simply jump? Take a look at your toolbar, and drag the wallrun move and place it where you'd like to begin your run. Click a shiny execute button and watch your character run across the wall onto the other side.

Now, lets make this a little more complex. Say that wallrun isn't going to get you far enough, but it will get you closer to a floating platform in the middle. This is when you would want to link your moves together. Drag your wallrun move to where you would like to start, and then drag your jump move to beside the platform. By linking those two moves, your character will wallrun and then in the middle of the run will jump towards the platform. Each move will have a "range" which will display when linking moves together, this will show you how far that wallrun or whichever move is going to go, and as such will restrict where you can place your moves. So if you want to jump after seven tiles but the wallrun will only take you five, you won't be able to put your jump any farther than the five tile limit.

Now, that sounds simple enough. So what happens when we add different types of platforms that move or crumble when you step on them. Maybe there are timed traps as well? This is when the planning, timing and hand-eye coordination come into play. So you have to traverse a room that consists of bottomless pits and crumbling platforms... and maybe a pipe that likes to randomly spew fire. Surely linking only three moves together will not do the trick, right? Thats when you start adding moves as you complete others. So for example once you finish your wallrun, you can add another move to your queue, and then you can repeat the process as you finish your moves. Some precise timing and coordination will allow you to cross a dangerous room in one fluid motion.

Now, when you're carrying those stolen documents from the enemies of your employer, you're probably going to run into some bad guys. But, your boss doesn't want blood on his hands, so you're not armed with any weapons. Thats okay though, you happen to be an expert in hand to hand combat, so when the bad guys start shooting, all you have to do is make it into melee range and its all a cakewalk from there. So how does combat work? As you approach an enemy, a series of colored buttons will appear around the enemy. Much like simon says, you will have to click on them in the right pattern to disable them. If you mess up, you start over, but if you take too long then your enemy will kill you. Speed becomes especially important when fighting a group of enemies, and good placement, such as standing in a way that will put an enemy between you and another enemy, will buy you more time.

So you might ask, whats the goal of the game? It depends on the level, but the basic idea is to finish whatever task you're assigned whether its to deliver something or steal something, and race to the end of the level. You'll accumulate a score based on speed and precision, as well as bonuses for certain things like eliminating all of your enemies(or a pacifist bonus for avoiding your enemies), or a flawless bonus for not getting injured.

What do you guys think? I'm open to constructive criticism and if it's well received then I'll be looking for a programmer soon.
Sounds fun, but not very playable through multiplayer due to BYOND natural connection lag and delays.
I don't think you'd be able to do something like that using Dream Maker very well. That seems more like a 3D environment type of game to me. I'd be happy to be proven wrong on that though. :)