ID:151611

Ok, wouldn't it be cool if BYOND Achievements popped up, like how a game would when it's live or when somebody signs on and it tells you they signed on? I think it'd help because then players will know if they gotten an achievement or not.
I beleive the point is its up to the developer to do that in-game. You could emulate what happens on x-box 360 if you really wanted to. Sadly most games I've seen with them just have a text line in the world output.
In response to Jotdaniel
Yeah, lol it just gets irritating doing it over and over.
This should go under BYOND Features, not design philosophy. Also in BYOND they're medals, not achievements. But I guess a little "You've earned 'SO AND SO' medal in 'THIS GAME'" alert would be nice.
In response to Duelmaster409
I was curious on what it should go under lol, and achievements sounds like a much more efficient word than medals.
In response to Ssj4justdale
You don't have to do it all over and over again. Make a proc that displays whatever graphic background you would like, and just input to the proc the text and icon you want it to show. It takes slightly more work to do that than to show world <<"you got [medal] medal"
Ssj4justdale wrote:
and achievements sounds like a much more efficient word than medals.

How so? If efficiency is what your after, medal is a much shorter word that achievement, therefore more efficient.
In response to Jotdaniel
Medal sounds plain and lame, achievement sounds interesting
In response to Jotdaniel
I know that but it'd be nice to have a built in feature so you don't have to waste your time coding an extra proc.
Let's go whole hog, and have a free Naruto source in the download.
BYOND supplies a language to program games, or other applications, with. It does not supply a ready made system to make your players happy so that you don't have to.

You are either in one of two positions:

1. You are not a developer, in which case you should ignore number 2., and go ask the developer of the game your playing and wanting this feature in to implement it.

2. You are trying to make a game and putting no effort whatsoever into it.

If 2. is the case, read the name of the website again... take a moment... build your own net dream. BYOND includes many features, in its language and website, but none of them strive for conformity or uniform design.
In response to Jotdaniel
Then why have it bother telling us if our friends are online and if games are online?
It's a tracker, it has nothing to do with making every game work the same exact way. You could very easily setup your own website to do the same.
I was curious on what it should go under lol, and achievements sounds like a much more efficient word than medals.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
In response to Jp
Achievement sounds special and something you could be proud of and makes more sense than medal. I earned the medal "Assassinator" on gamename. or I achieved "Assassination" on gamename.
That still doesn't make it efficient, it just makes it sound fancier, or elegant, if you will.
In response to Jp
In response to Tiberath
There's a mental bond between the XBox 360 and the useless tiny graphics you receive in return for performing some game-specific feat, simply because everything presently offering achievements lifted the idea from Microsoft. I think that's the only reason the word "achievement" is officially avoided.