ID:151623

Ok, so it doesn't REALLY make a globe, but it does make a psuedo globe with some random spherical slices cut out.

Go away.

I'm exploring making maps wrap-around to themselves (x:500 wraps to x:1) while keeping the visuals seamless (if there are objects around x:1 or so, they should appear at x:500).

I know that this idea has been covered several times in the past, however with the new advances with the BYOND engine (notably pixel offsets and other improved graphical functionality), are there better ways to handle it now?

If you had to do map-wrapping, what would you do?

I will throw a bone of simplicity out there - the objects on the map itself won't have pixel offsets, which should make things less complex.

~Polatrite~
I think AJX made a nice "hologram" system that simulated things like a wrapping map and seeing the people on the ground while "upstairs."
My hologram setup only works if you don't cross the 'line' going faster than 1 step per 5 ticks. Otherwise you will see a jumping effect.
In response to AJX
AJX wrote:
My hologram setup only works if you don't cross the 'line' going faster than 1 step per 5 ticks. Otherwise you will see a jumping effect.

Interesting, this could provide a good framework for what I am trying to accomplish.
In response to Polatrite
Polatrite wrote:
AJX wrote:

Interesting, this could provide a good framework for what I am trying to accomplish.

Yea. In hindsight I can say there are a few things I'd do differently and more intelligently, but I have no interest in reprogramming it. Works ok as an example though.