In response to Falacy
Dragonn also accepted "donations" for ingame boosts, or subscriptions, I forget which. Both are illegal, anyway.

Also, I don't quite think you should pick on someone for cybering being allowed in his game, you did that yourself in the past. Oh wait, that was beyond cybering...

Anyway, jokes aside, I've nothing to say for what I want to see from the programming language aspect, but the map editor needs some work. Diagonal lines/circle shapes/etc.
In response to Vic Rattlehead
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
Dragonn also accepted "donations" for ingame boosts, or subscriptions, I forget which. Both are illegal, anyway.

Who cares? Not only did GOA have a donation button plastered on its homepage (which seems to be down) but they give member benefits.
Donations are donations, they're "illegal" regardless of if you're giving the donor in-game bonuses in return.
And member benefits are the exact same thing, but nobody ever seems to whine about them.
In response to Falacy
Member benefits =/= subscriptions/donations.
How can you even GET them mixed up? Is the owner(s) of Generic Anime Game #91818 getting money from member benefits...?
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
Member benefits =/= subscriptions/donations.
How can you even GET them mixed up? Is the owner(s) of Generic Anime Game #91818 getting money from member benefits...?

Yes
In response to Falacy
How? (I can OWR (One Word Respond) too)
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
How? (I can OWR (One Word Respond) too)

If you order your membership through their page they get a portion of it.
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
And two, if it's lagging badly, that's mainly the programmers/hosts/both fault, due to a bad host connection and/or bad programming.

BYOND just isn't powerful enough to handle intensive functions as well as other languages. Its a side effect to having one language that's built with another language that's built with another language. Third-party programming language = slow.

Programming efficiency can improve the speed, but it will never make it fast.
In response to Falacy
Then can't we call your Stray Games illegal, too? You're getting money, and they get boosts in a very indirect way.
In response to Foomer
BYOND is built in C++, which while being based off of C, is just as fast, or maybe even faster. So it's more like a second party language :P.
In response to Jeff8500
It's probably more relevant that it's executed from bytecode in a virtual machine, and doesn't have the sort of money Sun or Microsoft have to make things like JIT work.
In response to Jp
I was going to mention that, but I didn't know if the VM was the sole reason DM is slower than other languages.
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
Though programming and host capabilities do contribute to lag (duh) BYOND natively lags, as I have proven in several different posts, with demo projects that usually contain little to nothing.

You do know: that in whatever program that sends data across a network, such as the internet, the data simply takes time to travel across the network. The data does not go from point A to point B instantly, to and from any segment of the network.

So don't poke it at being a BYOND problem. It's at least some part a hardware issue. It'll get faster but it will never become instant.
In response to Jeff8500
Jeff8500 wrote:
lol@"if() loop"

Yea, I guess I thought I was typing "for() loop"

It's just a typo! I swear! lol
In response to AJX
AJX wrote:
What I would like the future of DM to be is pretty simple:
The ability to package an executable that can run without the BYOND engine.

This, or at least be able to build a BYOND installer which includes/launches my game when it's done.
In response to CaptFalcon33035
CaptFalcon33035 wrote:
You do know: that in whatever program that sends data across a network, such as the internet, the data simply takes time to travel across the network. The data does not go from point A to point B instantly, to and from any segment of the network.

So don't poke it at being a BYOND problem. It's at least some part a hardware issue. It'll get faster but it will never become instant.

Play WoW, CoD, TF2, etc etc etc. Play them locally and then over a network.
You'll notice absolutely no difference between the reaction times of the game.
Whether this is a result of the game performing your actions client sided, and syncing them on a server for calculations or what not... meh meh.
The point is, I'm not running around in CoD clicking my mouse and then half a second later my gun goes off.
In response to SuperAntx
You could learn NSIS or something similar and make one yourself, it's not hard.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
You could learn NSIS or something similar and make one yourself, it's not hard.

Im going to assume that this would help with the second option, not the first?
In response to Falacy
Aren't you the person with a beast of a connection to the internet anyways? That might be part of why you don't experience any latency.

George Gough
In response to Falacy
That's because they do things client-side and then sync them in the server - if you've played TF2 under very high latency conditions, it's very obvious.

That sort of thing can't be built into the BYOND engine because the engine is general-purpose - it requires a lot of game knowledge to do that for a given game. Oh, and a fair bit of time, expertise, and money to pay for the time and expertise.

Client-side DM stuff might make it possible to do it, but the staff has neither the time nor money to do it. Especially given that it'll be an esoteric feature to 95% of the client base for DM, and the remaining 5% don't have the special knowledge required to make full use of it.
In response to Jp
Jp wrote:
That's because they do things client-side and then sync them in the server - if you've played TF2 under very high latency conditions, it's very obvious.

Which is what I said =P

Oh, and a fair bit of time, expertise, and money to pay for the time and expertise.

Which would supposedly be Lummox.

Especially given that it'll be an esoteric feature to 95% of the client base for DM, and the remaining 5% don't have the special knowledge required to make full use of it.

I don't see why it would require anything at all from the developers. Maybe just a simple option to choose whether you want it the way it is now, or pre client sided.
Things in those games are processed on the client, then on the server, synced, and sent back to be reprocessed.
Basically its showing you the futureeee. The only problem with that is that if things aren't keeping up the way they should be you end up with a "rubber band" effect.
I don't see why it would need to be setup on a per-game basis.
Page: 1 2 3