ID:151763

I'm trying to think of which type of running players would like more in a game.

Currently I have it so that you begin running after walking 10 consecutive steps, and running automatically stops if you stop moving for at least 3 seconds.

Should I keep it this way?

Here's another way that I recently thought of:

You would hold a certain key to run and when you let go of it, you stop running. Running will consume your stamina, and you will automatically stop running after your stamina reaches 0. Your stamina will slowly regain itself, or can be manually regained by resting or eating food.

Which way is better?
I'd go with the second because there's an immediate reaction to player input. Plus, the variable stamina seems to give you more leeway when creating maps than predefined turf counts.

(Double tapping is another alternative, but it might not be as responsive on a network.)
In response to ACWraith
Thanks for the advice. Also, what do you mean by double tapping? Is there a way to enable that through macros? If so, please explain.
In response to Forerunnerz
I was talking about tapping a direction twice in quick succession, sort of like a double click with a mouse (or a dash in a fighting game). It would not be handled through macros. It would likely be a flag check with a timer. However, as mentioned, that timer would probably not be friendly over a network due to lag.
Here is another option.

In some games, there is a certain key that toggles running. 'R' for example. Press 'R' to enable running.. Press it again to disable running and just walk..
In response to Jemai1
Jemai1 wrote:
Here is another option.

In some games, there is a certain key that toggles running. 'R' for example. Press 'R' to enable running.. Press it again to disable running and just walk..

I don't know as I haven't tried it but I think that might be a good idea, as lag really wouldn't play a big part into it.