ID:151764

In your opinion what do you think looks 'right' or better?
With the player on the left and the monster on the right (top picture)
Or vice versa in the bottom image?

Note: Graphics for the text and text box aren't final.
Make it customizable if you can, cause sometimes I prefer one at one time but the other at others. Though I don't think it will break the game if you do it either way.

George Gough
Traditionally it would be the monster on the left and player on the right, but it doesent look too bad on the other side, except the monster is now looking at nothing because it is looking right still.
I grew up with Final Fantasy and personally have an affinity toward the player(s) being on the right.
In response to Kuraudo
Kuraudo wrote:
I grew up with Final Fantasy and personally have an affinity toward the player(s) being on the right.

Most people will be biased towards having it on the 'wrong' side because of such (awesome) Final Fantasy games and Dragon Quest and such setting the par for it. I doubt anyone on Byond has yet to play a Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy game in their lifetime.
In response to VolksBlade
VolksBlade wrote:
I doubt anyone on Byond has yet to play a Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy game in their lifetime.

No.
In response to Android Data
Not at all? How about Thousand Arms? Legend of the Dragoon? You HAVE to of had played a game using this set up at least once before if even for a minute.
In response to KodeNerd
KodeNerd wrote:
Make it customizable if you can, cause sometimes I prefer one at one time but the other at others. Though I don't think it will break the game if you do it either way.

George Gough

This, right here. The "facing" issue shouldn't be a problem with icon.Flip().
In response to CriticalBotch
How about if you challenge someone/something your on the left and then opposite side if you've been challenged.
In response to Rickoshay
Thanks for your answers. :)
It'll be the traditional way.
As in most Final Fantasy games the side its on is based on one thing; are you being surprised with battle or not?

If you're surprised in battle it considers you 'attacked from behind' which would put you on the opposite side of the attack map.

If it's a normal attack it's player on the right.
In response to VolksBlade
VolksBlade wrote:
Not at all? How about Thousand Arms? Legend of the Dragoon? You HAVE to of had played a game using this set up at least once before if even for a minute.

Never played any of the above. As such, I'd prefer the player to be on the left. If there were a mechanic whereby the side were switched due to the context of the fight, I'd be ok with that.

Being strictly an opinion question, your best bet is to do it however you prefer yourself and let people deal with it, or have an option to let them choose.
Left
In response to Takoma
Make it an option for left or right orientation!

I would say left.

Or whoever gets the jump on the other guy is on the left. (I think I've seen that somewhere...)