ID:151765

Currently in my Dragonball game, I'm trying to think of a way to learn techniques. I wanted to keep it as accurate as the show. Here's what I thought of so far:

* Level up to a certain level, learn a certain move.
* Learn moves from N.P.C.'s if you are a certain level.
* Learn moves from a player after watching how it works multiple times.
* Learn moves by chance, getting lucky to learn moves.
* Learn move by certain stats.
* Skill tree with upgradable moves.
* Other, please explain.

What way should the moves be learned in the game? Which way is the most fun, or the most innovative?
I would say let them see it done a few times and then they get the move but have it like level 0, making it have like a 35/65 chance to backfire but the more times they successfully complete the move they get experience in that skill and as it levels up the chance to backfire gets less and less until it is gone, not to mention higher level the skill is the more damage it does, making each skill unique in its own.. I mean you don't want to see people running around using the same skill and doing the same damage do you? kinda messes up the whole perception of the powerlevel, which would also toss in a random factor into the damage dealing part.
I vaguely remember from when Buu's Fury came out for the GBA, there were special doors with numbers on them(and color according to character, but you can ignore that) that designated what level you needed to be to get through it. Then I forgot what happens when you do get through it.
It's basically the same as the second *, but it's a special(possibly hidden) area where you could easily stick an NPC. This could also be integrated to work with required stats.
In response to VolksBlade
VolksBlade wrote:
I would say let them see it done a few times and then they get the move but have it like level 0, making it have like a 35/65 chance to backfire but ...

I wholly disagree with this. I've always greatly disliked systems like this. I much prefer the skill tree type of thing, or a grid-like system (Final Fantasy X?). If the skills are fairly balanced or the means of getting the better ones is proportional to their effectiveness (so that everyone doesn't just grab Skill X and spam that all day), and there is enough diversity in the skills available, then it makes for a great way for each player to have their character individualized.

I mean you don't want to see people running around using the same skill and doing the same damage do you? kinda messes up the whole perception of the powerlevel, which would also toss in a random factor into the damage dealing part.

It seems like the perception of powerlevel would be that people would perform better attacks with higher powerlevels, not perform the Kamehameha better at 1000 powerlevel than someone at 100000 powerlevel, simply because they use the skill more often. The power of an attack could be based on skill and powerlevel (where powerlevel is the main factor and skill is a means of varying it between two similarly powered users).

Another idea for learning and having skillful techniques could be to give players' characters a number of "hidden values" when they're created that the player never sees. These could be used to determine someone's compatibility with certain styles of attacks (some might perform better beam attacks, while others are more biased to disc-based attacks, while some just lean mostly towards physical fighting with weaker energy blasts). Hidden values could also play a role in the development path of characters (for example, at powerlevel 1000 someone with trait X learns Masenko, one with trait Y learns Destructo Disc, etc.). This takes out an element of player customization, but lets you have more impact on player-to-player balance.

All of these seem more interesting to me than saying, "use X 5 times, rest, use it 5 more times, rest, use it 5 more times, [...], and be godly at using X!"
In response to Kuraudo
I see it like this; I didn't shoot down your Ideas you don't shoot down mine..
In response to VolksBlade
VolksBlade wrote:
I see it like this; I didn't shoot down your Ideas you don't shoot down mine..

I see it like this: he was asking for opinions on ideas and I gave my opinion on yours. The pointing out one's dislike for others' ideas is the core of a debate as, otherwise, all you end up with are a myriad of options with a lot of pros and none with any cons. If candidates in an election simply pointed out why their ideas were good and never why any opposing ideas were not as good (in their mind), the voting population would have only the upsides of each position to consider, rather than being able to consider testaments to the downsides of each view.

I encourage you to shoot down my ideas if you can do it in a civil manner.
In response to Kuraudo
Okay, thanks guys. I've thought it through.

Combining all the ideas, players will be able to learn custom moves depending on their hidden traits, other players will be able to learn the move by watching it getting executed multiple times. Intelligence will affect how fast you learn a move. When you learn a move, the move will start as a really weak move, the damage will be calculated as your skill mastery/#*usr.Ki+BattlePower. It will also be slower until the move is used more. Lastly, there will be some NPC's in a hidden area that teach you their special techniques but they will be hidden beyond a door that will require a certain stat requirement(Criticize on this, should they be behind doors or should you only have to require a certain stat before learning the move from them?).

Here's how it will work. There will be a variety of custom moves in the game to make your character "Unique" but there will also be the traditional Dragonball moves that you can learn like the Kamehameha from Goku, or the Special Beam Cannon from Piccolo.

Good or bad idea? Please Criticize.
In response to Forerunnerz
No particular comment to make, but something else came to mind:

Forerunnerz wrote:
but there will also be the traditional Dragonball moves that you can learn like the Kamehameha from Goku, or the Special Beam Cannon from Piccolo.

Perhaps with some [types of] techniques, you'll use a different, more interactive techniques. For [a DBZ] example, Goku learned the Kamehameha from watching someone else, but that someone else has invented the technique himself. Similarly, Piccolo's Special Beam Cannon is a technique he made. So another approach could be to make the players actively develop and practice a technique until various aspects about it are perfected. Of course, you may even let the player customize some techniques' (or perhaps only make new ones, so customized ones are more distinct) aspects.
In response to Kaioken
I love your idea. So your saying that players should be able to create techniques that have certain bonuses as compared to their stats, like if a player created a move solely from KI, the move would be really powerful but will be slow because of no KI manipulation. Then once they fully master the move and the move is finished, other players can learn it from the original move creator.

Piccolo's Special Beam Cannon was created with only power in mind. The move takes a long time to charge because of this. Players would be able to customize a technique's stats or even make their own technique with bonuses that all equal up to 100%. An example is say a player practiced a certain technique a lot without charging it very much, their KI mastery for the technique would increase and the move would be faster to charge but the power would be lower then if the move was charged more often.
In response to Kaioken
Kaioken wrote:
No particular comment to make, but something else came to mind:

Forerunnerz wrote:
but there will also be the traditional Dragonball moves that you can learn like the Kamehameha from Goku, or the Special Beam Cannon from Piccolo.

Perhaps with some [types of] techniques, you'll use a different, more interactive techniques. For [a DBZ] example, Goku learned the Kamehameha from watching someone else, but that someone else has invented the technique himself. Similarly, Piccolo's Special Beam Cannon is a technique he made. So another approach could be to make the players actively develop and practice a technique until various aspects about it are perfected. Of course, you may even let the player customize some techniques' (or perhaps only make new ones, so customized ones are more distinct) aspects.

Now that is something I can agree on. Very clever.