ID:151766

Ahoy Mates.

I am making a Pirates game, based on Pirates of the Caribbean, but not quite. Putting you into the shoes of a Sailor who had been captured by the Dreaded Pirate Captain Dayne Hayes who locks you up on his ship, and during your time in there he sets you to tasks (letting you learn the ropes of the game) and then throughout it you get to make decisions which develops your own personality (or your pirates anyways). In the end of this section of the game you get the choice of staying on as a member of the crew which takes you further into piracy, or going to shore which can lead you down the path of a merchant or a member of the navy (not really sure if I am going to throw the East India Trade Company in there, but if I do you will be able to join them too)

Practically there will be missions earning you more fame or notoriety (depending on your choices (and job)) either furthering you into piracy or into the ever expanding 'modern' lifestyle, you will be able to sail your ship from island to island, shooting down others ships with your cannons while sailing the Caribbean, or find uncharted islands and dig up buried treasure and squander it all on the ladies and rum.

I mean it sounds good to me, maybe some input from you guys? Also sure this isn't code philosophy, but I am sure this fits into this category, I am sure if it doesn't that the admins will move it to the right section. Non biased and Honest input would be nice.

-Volksblade.
Sounds like fun! I hope you stay with this idea. I'd love to play it.
Except for one small detail, ninjas > pirates.

On the matter of where this topic belongs, Design Philosophy is more about discussing aspects of games, like how things should be done efficiently and whatnot. I guess you could put this in a blog post or something. I'm not sure where this would belong, really.

In response to Kaiochao
Well.. you guys could discuss what aspects of the description you like and don't and I could listen and make changes when it sounds good, that would make it able for this section, no?

And lol Ninja's Vs. Pirates has been a age-long battle that will never end as long as humans have a right to express their thoughts.

And I plan on sticking with it, I have a good little bit coded already, and my friend is working on the icons as we speak (probably not but he will when I give him the list)

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, everything in this will be coded by me, anything that I do not code will be put in with permission of the owner of the codes and the credit shall be given on the hub. (just thought I would put that tidbit up there since a lot of games are rips nowadays)
In response to VolksBlade
VolksBlade wrote:
And lol Ninja's Vs. Pirates has been a age-long battle that will never end as long as humans have a right to express their thoughts.

Right to express your thoughts: suspended.
Pirates > Ninjas.
In response to Android Data
Android Data wrote:
VolksBlade wrote:

Right to express your thoughts: suspended.
Pirates > Ninjas.

To me it all depends on the circumstances, if you want to loot and kill, pirates are good for you, if you want to sneak into the royal house past the guards and into the masters bedroom, kill him without him knowing and then leave without ANYONE noticing then you would have to go Ninja, BUT if you want to loot and kill while going into the royal house and killing everyone in your way and then killing the lord, you have to be.. a.. Volksblade!
VolksBlade wrote:
To me it all depends on the circumstances,
if you want to loot and kill, pirates are good for you,

Pirates are also good for you if you want to be:
  • cool
  • not a freak that likes to hide from the sun
  • a manly man, unlike a ninja who doesn't let his enemies look at his face before killing them

• if you want to sneak into the royal house past the guards and into the masters bedroom, kill him without him knowing and then leave without ANYONE noticing then you would have to go Ninja,

Or assassin. Or hitman. Hitman 2 in particular. But really? A pirate doesn't need to sneak around. A pirate would just blow a hole in the bedroom, use rope to climb or fly their way in there, and have a really awesome sword fight with the house owner which eventually kills him.

BUT if you want to loot and kill while going into the royal house and killing everyone in your way and then killing the lord, you have to be.. a.. Volksblade!

You're saying that you're a mass murderer? Pirates aren't mass-murders, they'll kill you if you get in their way but they won't just kill anybody. Volksblades seem particulary evil to me.
In response to Android Data
lol, and yeah Volksblades ARE particularly evil in nature.
Yarr, more on the game!

In the previous I made apparent the kinds of stuff you can accomplish with being a Pirate, but I missed some stuff!

As a Pirate you will be able to make a crew to sail the high seas with you, each member will be able to enhance your cannon shooting/reloading, maneuverability, speed, and loot! While sailing your mates can enjoy a puzzle made to keep them active and actually participating in the sailing experience (kinda Puzzle Pirates like but meh).

As a Merchant you will live a high life, you will be able to set up a shop on an Island or multiple across the Caribbean, you will be able to buy a house and furniture for it to make your place the grandest of them all, you will be able to sail from Island to Island selling and buying merchandise or hire another merchant to do it for you!

As a part of the Royal Navy you will live in the luxury of the King's whim, living in a highly decorated home, and doing his Lordships deeds, from sailing to a Island and defeating a troublesome Pirate who has taken refugee there, to sailing out and leading a blockade, to going out and doing naval battles against Pirates for his Lordship. As a part of the Navy you will go up ranks and each rank will earn you better missions and paychecks, not to mention you can order around all of the Navy People that you outrank!

Just a little tidbit, comment please.
Bump? Anyone wanna tell me what they think of the new one I added?
Thing is, I've messed around with this idea in the past, and abandoned it because it (it's a habit of mine, but the idea in general) relies on a large playerbase. Things such as your merchant, settings shops and everything, what'd be the use if barely anyone would buy anything?

A captain and a crew? I don't see any kid on BYOND waiting to be a mere crewmember. "Zomg i wnbe cptn pirate lol". Say 6 people a ship.. You'd need 30 people constantly playing to have any action. And what if the captain is offline? What if ANYONE of your crew is offline? How to handle all that? You'd have to come up with a pretty darn good system.
In response to Mysame
Mysame wrote:
Thing is, I've messed around with this idea in the past, and abandoned it because it (it's a habit of mine, but the idea in general) relies on a large playerbase. Things such as your merchant, settings shops and everything, what'd be the use if barely anyone would buy anything?

A captain and a crew? I don't see any kid on BYOND waiting to be a mere crewmember. "Zomg i wnbe cptn pirate lol". Say 6 people a ship.. You'd need 30 people constantly playing to have any action. And what if the captain is offline? What if ANYONE of your crew is offline? How to handle all that? You'd have to come up with a pretty darn good system.

Obviously a diverse and well coded AI system would have to be made to add that extra crew-mate or random captain, or just a random pirate who needs supplies. A huge system like this would take care of all of that, for the merchants it would create a new pirate at a random dock on A SINGLE random island (probably do this every couple minutes where it switches islands each time) and then randomly chose a shop from a list then use the specified coordinates and have it walk to it just like a normal player, then it would use money it doesent have/need to purchase items just like a normal player, money would go to the shop and the item would be taken from their supplies.

And obviously for the person wanting to be captain, I could always do something like a notoriety level requirement to become a captain, and until they get to that standard they have to be on their own or as a crewmate, I will be having several AI captains with their own AI crew, and any pirate player can join their ranks and when that person joins a AI will be taken off, and if the person leaves a new AI is added.

This kind of system would take a long time to make and will be very hard, but still doable.