ID:15181

It's on now. <3
Now to install Windows and I should be fine. Turned out one of the cords wasn't pushed in all of the way. A 40-1 connector thing which happened to connect the power supply to the motherboard, which is why it wasn't turning on. Oops.
Make sure your power switch is connected correctly, all your power wires are firmly in place, and all cords are connected and with a solid connection.

You can also test the powersupply by connecting it to another computer in the house(No need to remove the old one, just unplug it.)

Make sure the RAM is in the correct slots.

Check the manual for any special notes on that motherboard.
I believe that's a fairly common occurance with a new build...lol

If the light on the motherboard comes on, then at least the thing is getting power...

Next step is to check if the power button is properly hooked to the board (it's possible to get those wires crossed, or onto the wrong pins entirely)...

Next, make sure all fans and whatnot are properly connected and operational (many MBs come with a CPU-protecting feature that will shut them down automatically if no fan is detected, or if the processor overheats)

In fact, while you're checking that, might as well check everything to make sure it's all properly connected (RAM especially)...

Next, check all of your jumpers (the little plastic things that can be found connecting some of the little copper leads sticking out of the board) Some of these (especially the CMOS one) need to be placed correctly (over the right set of pins) before it will do anything... You'll need to check your MB manual for these settings...

Next, clear your CMOS memory by moving that jumper for a few seconds (well, check your MB booklet about this one, though they should all be about the same)

Try the button after each of the above steps... It should work after one of them...

Past all of that, I'm not sure what to tell you...
Make sure your CPU is seated properly. That happened to me once with a Pentium II.

Mind you, modern CPU locking mechanisms are much better, so as long as all the clips are on it should be okay.
I'm asking at the same time on another forum, and someone warned me to make sure I have a thermal pad on the CPU before I turn it on, otherwise I might short it out. I don't have one (not like power seemed to reach it in the first place so I think it's still okay) but would it have come with the CPU? I'm still looking around for something.

Edit: Took off the CPU and found a gooey square lining that I know wasn't there before. Could that be the pad?
Thermal pad? Do you mean a heatsink? Most processors come with them. If you mean the paist between the CPU and heatsink, most heatsinks come with a small strip of it already applied. It is best to replace this if you can, but not required(I have the good stuff, artic silver).
I have a heatsink/fan thing, yeah. It's what I took off when I found it.
SUCCESS!
The thermal paste is a substance that helps with heat transfer from the CPU to the heatsink (surface to surface contact works, but it isn't as efficient as it is with this liquid in between)...

It isn't exactly necessary (at least in terms of starting the machine), but modern CPUs can get so hot that every bit of cooling assistance is a good thing... (CPUs without adequate cooling can literally melt and/or catch fire)

The guy that warned you about that worded it wrong, though... The CPU won't short out without it... It will simply burn up... Luckily, though, you apparently have it, and even if you didn't, your CPU isn't likely to get too hot without the PC actually turning on (nothing to process, after all)...lol
Congrats!

What did it (or aren't you sure)?
A 40-1 connector wasn't pushed in all of the way. It happened to be the one that connected the power supply to the motherboard.