ID:151864

One problem many may have is judging when a game is developed sufficienly for release. One example I have is Starcorps.

I am asking for a 'list' of all the steps that would involve making a game, in fine sections, all the way to the point where it cannot grow any further, please. The more lengthy and understandable, the better.

Perhaps I will see some hosting 'bites' more frequently if I at least make this critical jump...
Your game is complete when it satisfies its design goals. I don't think you've defined any goals for your games, which makes it hard to know when to stop.

http://www.vancouver.wsu.edu/fac/peabody/game-book/ Coverpage.html
In response to Xooxer
... Thats usually what is called a freelance game.
In response to Developous
... At which point you lose me, and probably every other reader. What do you mean 'That's usually what is called a freelance game.'? Just About any half-way competent game has some kind of development and gameplay goals.
In response to Stephen001
I think he misinterpreted Xooxer's comment about stopping development. It seems to me that he thought the comment referred to releasing the game and not continuing to work on it rather than knowing the cut-off point of when to release the game.
Based on his lack of a response, it's likely that he didn't bother to read the paper before replying to continue the discussion/question; a shame, because I rather enjoyed it...I may have to reference it in my lecture next week.

The general idea here, responding to the request for a list, is that there can't be a list made that will guarantee when a game should be released or not. It depends on the type of game, what your intentions are with it (single player? multiplayer? quests?), what there is to do in the game (is there enough content to keep people happy until the next update?), etc etc.

The best advice I can offer is to sit down and write out all the things you want done in your game, then narrow the list down until you have the absolute minimum for the game to function, and release it once those things are completed.
In response to Ephemerality
Ephemerality wrote:
The best advice I can offer is to sit down and write out all the things you want done in your game, then narrow the list down until you have the absolute minimum for the game to function, and release it once those things are completed.

Thats the first sequence of steps I am trying to decipher. It's exactly the design thing I am looking for.

Basicly a large, comprhrensive list of the stages and what to accomplish on those stages to get it done.
In response to Developous
Developous wrote:
Thats the first sequence of steps I am trying to decipher. It's exactly the design thing I am looking for.

Basicly a large, comprhrensive list of the stages and what to accomplish on those stages to get it done.

Really, did you look at the link I gave you? It breaks down the development process into stages.

http://www.vancouver.wsu.edu/fac/peabody/game-book/ Chapter5.html