ID:151865

In my game, we have applied quite a nice original system for handling the MIDI files inside the source. The effect is a natural mmorpg feel for sounds: grunting, swinging, background noises and music, all equiped with an equalizer to lower or raise volumes of one/several of these. My question, is it needed? The system uses a large ammount of processing and takes a large chuck of resources when loading the game, and I'm not sure people even want or need volume control as we have it. At least in BYOND. What do you think about having such a advanced system for something so small as having your grunts turned lower than the chirps and background music? Or even having grunts at all?
Kudos on the system, but I don't think it's needed.

About 80% of BYONDers have their music turned off to prevent such unwanted noises and to rush their download files.

If you are going to keep it in, I suggest having a warning in the Hub somewhere. (ie: description?)
In response to Euphemism
That's an idea to consider.... Also, anouther question, is there a way to make the players download music files even with the music option turned off? We use an audio tuturial and players might miss out on it even with the description warning.
In response to Rtbbvr
I was under the impression that audio was sent to clients regardless of the client's options, just not played.
In response to Stephen001
No, having the option turned off can reduce the resource size whose download is required to play the game, so the music files are ommited from the resources recieved. But I have found a way to cause the user to recieve and play the audio files now anyhow, thanks though.
In response to Rtbbvr
Cool, you learn something new every day. =P
Personally, I find music to be a little unnecesssary myself. I'm not expecting great art when I play a BYOND game, and I'm certainly not expecting great music either.