ID:15198

Out of all of the custom games made in WarCraft III, Defense of the Ancients (and the latest version, AllStars) is by far the most popular. It's a ten-player game with five on each team (two teams, of course). The object is rather simple: reach the enemies main building and destroy it. The means to get there is a bit harder. So far there are 77 different heroes, tons of items and ways to combine them, and an average of an hour each game. I really enjoy this game, but it's beginning to lose its touch.

Due to its popularity, each game in my mind always starts out as "Who is going to leave the moment the game starts?" Sure enough, this will happen every so often. People stay and enjoy the game, but a missing player is oftentimes a hopeless situation. If no one leaves, I sigh in relief and start playing. Then I remember, "Who's going to leave after they die once?" and dispair once again. This game takes a lot of patience: level up, get good items, look for the right opportunity to slay an enemy player. Some don't have this patience and, as a result, usually play far too aggressively. Sometimes (if they play people even worse than them) they'll get a kill. It's more likely that they get killed in the process. I don't know WHY they leave after this, but they do. I just can't relate to that kind of absolute loss situation: to explain, you won't lose the game because you died first. You'll be at a slight disdvantage, but it's very likely your team is doing just as good as a whole.

The worst kind of people who leave are the ones that leave after killing a lot and not dying much. I can only guess at their reasoning, but I believe it is due to them thinking that the game is already won and that there is no point to playing anymore. I'd like to smack some sense into those people. DotA, similar to most games, is UNlike chess in that you can fix most problems easily. There are hopeless points where people have died too much and the enemy gains too much from them, or you lose your unit-producing structures, but you will have already had to mess up a lot to reach that point. Apparently, these people have the prescience to see that the game's already won and decide to leave. I end up winning almost every time once they're gone...so much for foresight. And of course, you get the people who just...leave. That could be due to a computer crash or a lost connection, or they "just had to leave". But it's still annoying and usually ruins the game.

In summary, this is the doom of popular games. You'll get people who want to play and fight to the bitter end, and you get everyone else who are either too spoiled or too arrogant to play through. I try to play every game to its end, and I wish other people would, too, but what can you do? It's the Internet. For anyone who's played Defense of the Ancients (or most WarCraft III games), perhaps you can relate to this. Otherwise, just keep in mind that there are people who aren't very good gamers.
sounds interesting, maybe ill take a crack at it.
I've played it, never really got into it. I think an interesting twist would be a AOS(like dota) where theres like 4 teams and each one has 2 players, and 3 monster spawns(one for each opposing side). basicly each base would be on the outside of a circle, and each side would battle it out for supremecy. this way, if someone leaves, their teammate can just leave and the game can go on.
WHAT IS DOTA?
defense of the ancients..

he only said it in his post like 3 times xD
bah, didn't like it. i like the 'hero arenas' and 'TDs' though =)

and yes, I am necroposting.