ID:152060

Text messaging is a great utility. I think it would be exceptionally great if I could tie it into my BYOND games and receive updates if something significanty is occuring. One good example is a "cheater report" function that I have given to certain "mostly trustworthy" players that allows them to alert me if they have suspicion that someone is doing something illegal within the game. I can then review logs and take action against the situation.

If I could incorporate this into a text messaging system, and then a little response webform so that I could take actions on the game if necessary (banning a spammer) -- I think this system would be superb.

Google has a VERY simple to use SMS sending system that has no stipulations, you just input a phone number and some info and you're good to go (http://www.google.com/sendtophone).

My question is how can I use world.Export() to access this interface (it uses POST queries). My first thought is to create a PHP script that will basically "convert" a GET query to a POST query, so I have my BYOND world talking to my PHP script, which talks to Google's text message interface, which then sends the message to my phone.

Any thoughts on implementing this, or even better, a start on the PHP script to do so? I'm sure this could be useful for many developers.

~Polatrite~
If you're going to be using a php script for it, you should check if your provider allows for email delivery to your phone (most are simply [your_number]@whatever.tld). You can usually check this easily by sending an email from your phone and then replying to it (being wary that some cell providers charge for incoming and or outgoing messages). hub://nick231.econtact does this quite well, you just switch the email to wherever it needs to be sent to, and then call sendmail() in game. I've used the system for probably 5 years and it's worked absolute wonders.

As for the actual sendtophone page, I couldn't find any info after looking for a couple minutes, but basically if you find the variables the sendtophone page uses, you simply pass them on as needed.
You could always write a DLL to send in a post request.

-- Data