In response to Jtgibson
In the last few Ultima games, you had to make it to Lord British within a certain time frame, if you didn't, then the dead party member couldn't be revived. Or, they would be brain dead or something, I forget,
In response to Jtgibson
Jtgibson wrote:
Of course, mine starts out much more lenient than "a couple of hours". My current rule is 3^(x-1)*15 seconds, where x is the number of times you have died. If the community is able to band together to enforce justice on a griefer, eventually that griefer will be ousted out of the game due to number of deaths, while the deaths of legit players will be distributed over the legit players as a whole and won't cost them so much.

I guess the idea is, don't knock what you haven't tried.

After having played Final Fantasy Online here on Byond for a while, my experience says that none of this is true. Nobody wanted to be that guy who ended up dying "for the community" and have themselves set back and the small group of PKers that roamed around for several months pretty much had free reign of the game until the host had to evict them when they finally abused some loophole in the game (and at that point people were scrutinizing them for a way to get them banned).

I don't get the delusion some people have around here that "if there's a griefer, the community will 'band together' to get rid of him". Especially if there's a small group of them, they're generally going to be more organized about it than any half-hearted player militia and in the event one forms, why would someone even show up for that?

Really, all of these death-deterrent ideas people come up with aren't going to solve the problem of griefing, because the griefer just don't care about his character and that's never going to change. It's the people who DO care about the game and their characters that get affected by this.

I don't mean to be picking on your post specifically or anything, but it's like people imagine these "best case" scenarios when trying to implement PVP penalties for griefers, but I don't think it's right to go with that because the fact that you're dealing with a griefer in the first place means it's not a good scenario. I know your formula was just an example, but there's already two really negative points to it.

1) It punishes long-time characters who actually play the game. You didn't mention any sort of method of reducing the time, so gradually your character builds up more and more time with each death...

2) The griefer wins and successfully beats another player. He then proceeds to camp the corpse and repeatedly kill the same person whenever the chance is available. Now the victim is racking up extra death time from a system implemented to discourage it in the first place.

As for the Ultima example, the first thing that comes to mind is "kill someone and hide the body". :P

"How should I implement permadeath?"
"Discourage players from killing in PVP."
"Add guards that kill murderers on sight."
"Weaken the murderer as a penalty."
"Give him bad karma."

Why, exactly, is there going to be permadeath in the first place if all of these clauses have to be introduced? Or even PVP for that matter?
In response to Xooxer
Xooxer wrote:
[Edit] Also, this could really deter people from killing each other, since you'd probably not want to give your opponent the chance to gain more power in the afterlife. If you have a KO phase before actual permadeath, I'd wager most griefers would stop there and just loot you, lest you come back even stronger and really wipe the floor with them.

~X

No it won't. If anything that makes the prospect of finishing off your victim even better. The entire point of griefing is to piss off and set back another player, and while you're busy regrinding, your original killer is still going to get even stronger. It's not like he's put into hibernation while you get a free pass to outlevel him.
In response to Sarm
Sarm wrote:
Or even PVP for that matter?

Since that last thought echoes what I've been thinking for the last two posts, I'll just say it. If you're trying to discourage people from killing each other, then DON'T LET THEM DO IT! Its pretty dumb to put in a PVP system and then discourage people from using it.

Frankly I'd prefer games where players team up against the evil antagonistic force instead of a dog-eat-dog online game where the strongest players loot/kill every weaker player that comes along. And if the players can't kill each other, then there's a lot more incentive for them to team up.

Which isn't to say someone couldn't put a PVP Arena into their game if they wanted it.
In response to Sarm
Well that all depends on the game, really. I wasn't envisioning an afterlife would be a place you'd have to stay in very long, so the griefer wouldn't gain much, especially if he's just going around killing poeple instead of working on his stats. Your character, on the other hand, would have pretty much a free pass to gain something quickly, which if handled properly could give a low level player an edge. Simply knocking someone out and taking all thier stuff would be much more annoying and more in line with griefer mentality than possibly giving your victims a chance to outclass you. Especially if you've racked up a lot of victims.
In response to Foomer
This is probably a bad idea for BYOND, but it might work for the right game:

How about only allowing GMs the power to kill and be killed by players? They'd throw together some short-lived villian character who's locked at a certain level and skillset, and the GM plays out a story where the players are the heroes and the GM has to challenge them to defeat him. Give the GM a quota for kills, like 2 per story event, which they can't exceed. They don't need to use them, but it might add a nice twist to the story if he has the ability to wipe out some gung-ho cowboy who thinks he can just raid the castle without any plan or help.

If you're going for an RP game, everything has to advance the story or support the existing storyline. If you can't trust the players to always play to the story, then make it a GM's task. That's really what they should be used for anyways. If your GM is a griefer, they shouldn't be a GM.

~X
In response to Sarm
Sarm wrote:
1) It punishes long-time characters who actually play the game. You didn't mention any sort of method of reducing the time, so gradually your character builds up more and more time with each death...

I didn't mention it here, but I do have a system for that.

Also, long time characters should always live in the fear of death and should be genuinely afraid to die for fear of losing what they have. If they start racking up long wait times, that's what I call A Good Thing -- they should learn to be more cautious or learn that their present style of combat just isn't working for them.

Now, obviously, a permanent death system can only work in a game where combat is a rare means to an end and not an end in itself. I would never put permanent death in a game that didn't strongly encourage and/or enforce roleplaying.

2) The griefer wins and successfully beats another player. He then proceeds to camp the corpse and repeatedly kill the same person whenever the chance is available. Now the victim is racking up extra death time from a system implemented to discourage it in the first place.

If a person attempts to retrieve their body alone, they're pretty damned stupid and probably deserve to die. The idea if you get killed is to return in greater numbers. Griefers can't do that. ;-)
In response to Jtgibson
Jtgibson wrote:
Also, long time characters should always live in the fear of death and should be genuinely afraid to die for fear of losing what they have. If they start racking up long wait times, that's what I call A Good Thing -- they should learn to be more cautious or learn that their present style of combat just isn't working for them.

...But why? :/ I look at something like that and think that I'd rather not risk my character to explore or try new things. That would just lead me toward not wanting to play the game at all. I can't be the only person who would look at it like this, can I? Why should anybody actually -fear- the death of their character in the first place?

If a person attempts to retrieve their body alone, they're pretty damned stupid and probably deserve to die. The idea if you get killed is to return in greater numbers. Griefers can't do that. ;-)

That's exactly what the griefers did in FFO, because at times there was anywhere between 2 and 6 of them roaming around together, taking on (and beating) over twice the number of people opposing them. Because the "community" was generally avoiding death while the griefers didn't care, they flat-out had more PVP experience and could do a lot more. FFO kinda-sorta has corpse retrieval, but not once did I ever notice anybody interesting in helping someone who just got killed because nobody else wanted to take the chance that they would lose their stuff too. At that point, if you just died and lost all your stuff, you really do have nothing left to lose to go back on the (slim) chance that maybe you'd retrieve something. To me, the whole idea just seems broken from the start.
In response to Sarm
But FFO and Jtgibson's game are two completely different animals. What doesn't work in a standard generic hack-n-slash leveler might work beautifully in a strict RP environment, especially if the game is actively kept free of griefers and grinders.

You really can't compare PvP in one type of game to that of another without taking into account the difference in the overall playerbase. Hack-n-slash levelers breed griefers and grinders, who generally can't stomache a true roleplaying environment.

Also, in an RP game, death is something else entirely. You claim people aren't interested in others for fear for their own character. That sort of thinking is discouraged in a true RP game. You do what your character does, as best as you can imagine. If your character's friend gets whacked, you bet your butt he's going to round up all his buddies and handle his killer with force and style.

There's no such mechanism for connecting people in a hack-n-slash like FFO, so people only think about what they have vs. what they could have or what others have. It's very shallow compared to an RP game.

~X
In response to Xooxer
Well, all I really know about Jtgibson's game is what I read in this thread. I took his "retrieve your body" sentence and his player reviving formula to mean that there had to be some materialistic character progression, either in exploring or the usual hack and slash. If there was little of that, I wouldn't understand the need for someone to retrieve his corpse in the first place unless you're required to walk back as a spirit before you revive. Like I said, though, I don't know too much about it so I suppose I'll see if I can look it up on his member page later or something.

If the game is meant to be a full-force storytelling experience, I guess I could see permadeath working but I think the game would not only have to be built around the idea (duh, hence this thread :P) but the player community would also have to utilize it as a sort of "enhancement" to storytelling, instead of a real deterrent to PVP. Of course, nobody wants to lose their progress in a game; I think I'd go crazy if I was forced to delete my save file if I ever messed up once in any console RPG. You're still taking a person's invested time and cramming it down the toilet. If Jtgibson's game has very little (if any) leveling grind or collectibles like gold, special items, etc. then maybe a character-respawning system would be more harmful for roleplaying than permadeath? It's harder to get attached to a storyline character if all you have to do is wait a certain amount of time before you pull him out of the ethereal infirmary.

Come to think of it, I don't know if anybody asked this question yet. What kind of roleplaying game do you have in mind? A start-to-finish sort that you'd find in a console game, D&Dish with a GM to walk you through stories, or a sandbox game where you dump a bunch of players to entertain each other? It looks like the replies so far (including my own, I know) have been focused more on the consequences of dying in the game, and not as much discussion about what the game is actually about, like what you do with your character when he's alive in the first place.
In response to Xooxer
Agreed completely, which is ultimately what brought up the permadeath question to me to begin with. If a game is strictly RP, you won't expect everyone to come back after dying.
Maybe sometimes (miraculous healing, whatever), but, ultimately, if it is strictly RP, you think as your character thinks, and your character will generally know they are not immortal. You do things that will further your characters goals ((even if they are not ultimately your own)) and the permadeath adds an extra level to this - If your RP character is a mercenary or something like that that really doesn't fear their own death, then they will have no problems risking a permanent death, but if your character is a largely self-serving individual who would refuse to set themselves at risk, yet in order to get what they need they have to go to a dangerous area, why not hire one of the aforementioned mercenaries?
In response to Sarm
Well, if I could actually finish my RP ((I seem to have a knack for not finishing projects. Sucks, I really need to do something about that)), it'll be mainly sandbox, with perhaps a little bit of GM-interaction as story-tellers to make sure it doesn't get too far off-task.

And of course, without any of the preset classes and your character being basically an empty slate, you can form it completely as you desire ((whether, as in my previous example, you are a mercenary, or a greedy self-serving lord, or perhaps a cleric that goes out and tries to rescue other players before they permadeath kicks in and thus earning yourself favours from other players, whatever you want to do to build up your own little empire.))
In response to Sarm
Well, I don't think anyone really know's much about Jtgibson's game, other than it's a roleplaying game and some scant details he drops about it every third month or so in a reply to threads like this.

From what I've seen of most RP games, while they may have some aspects in common with hack-n-slash games, they're played for entirely different reasons. A hack-n-slash leveler you play to gain levels, stats, the best equipment and treasure, to complete quests, etc. Roleplaying games are mainly played simply for the rolepleying experience. Everything else is secondary. Death would be seen as just another aspect to the game, something to generate story, something to pretend about through your character.

That doesn't mean permadeath sucks less for the player of an RP game, just that it's the sort of game where you can turn that emotion into play by acting out the experience. Not only that, but the characters your character made connections with in the game are sharing in the experience with you, not simply ignoring you becuase they don't want to lose something important to the player.

~X
In response to Sarm
Sarm wrote:
Well, all I really know about Jtgibson's game is what I read in this thread. I took his "retrieve your body" sentence and his player reviving formula to mean that there had to be some materialistic character progression, either in exploring or the usual hack and slash. If there was little of that, I wouldn't understand the need for someone to retrieve his corpse in the first place unless you're required to walk back as a spirit before you revive. Like I said, though, I don't know too much about it so I suppose I'll see if I can look it up on his member page later or something.

Actually, the corpse retrieval was going to be done by your buddies. The original plan was to make death permanent until you have been revived, meaning that when you die, you either create an alternate character to gather up your body (strongly discouraged, both for safety reasons (approaching the person who successfully killed you with a badly injured character is a bad idea) and for degrees-of-separation reasons) or you wait until your friends manage to retrieve the body (which can be a rather trying experience in itself, since they not only have to fight off whatever it was that slew you, but also have to drag your body all the way back). If you have neither option available, that's the end of that character, gone, finito.

It was an either-or sort of thing. Either a time-delay system (which allows you to respawn badly injured with no equipment, a long way away from the site of death in a sanctuary area), or a corpse retrieval system (which does not allow you to respawn, and where you can only resume playing as that character once someone has brought the body back to the Lord British equivalent in order to be resurrected).

If the game is meant to be a full-force storytelling experience, I guess I could see permadeath working but I think the game would not only have to be built around the idea (duh, hence this thread :P) but the player community would also have to utilize it as a sort of "enhancement" to storytelling, instead of a real deterrent to PVP. Of course, nobody wants to lose their progress in a game; I think I'd go crazy if I was forced to delete my save file if I ever messed up once in any console RPG. You're still taking a person's invested time and cramming it down the toilet. If Jtgibson's game has very little (if any) leveling grind or collectibles like gold, special items, etc. then maybe a character-respawning system would be more harmful for roleplaying than permadeath? It's harder to get attached to a storyline character if all you have to do is wait a certain amount of time before you pull him out of the ethereal infirmary.

Come to think of it, I don't know if anybody asked this question yet. What kind of roleplaying game do you have in mind? A start-to-finish sort that you'd find in a console game, D&Dish with a GM to walk you through stories, or a sandbox game where you dump a bunch of players to entertain each other? It looks like the replies so far (including my own, I know) have been focused more on the consequences of dying in the game, and not as much discussion about what the game is actually about, like what you do with your character when he's alive in the first place.

Yeah, Newtopia is the sandboxed community-oriented style; when a character dies, it's meant to be an important event, just as important if a particular faction of players decides to declare war on another faction of players. In a classic RPG (which I usually distinguish from "roleplaying" even though both supposedly mean the same thing), permadeath is just plain unnecessary unless you're going for a roguelike dungeon-crawling style of gameplay.
In response to Xooxer
Xooxer wrote:
Well, I don't think anyone really know's much about Jtgibson's game, other than it's a roleplaying game and some scant details he drops about it every third month or so in a reply to threads like this.

I do have a forum with a lot of salient info:
http://newtopia.jtgibson.ca/phpBB2/

and a Wiki with a lot more:
http://newtopia.jtgibson.ca/wiki/

They've been linked from Newtopia's hub entry for a good long while. =)

From what I've seen of most RP games, while they may have some aspects in common with hack-n-slash games, they're played for entirely different reasons. A hack-n-slash leveler you play to gain levels, stats, the best equipment and treasure, to complete quests, etc. Roleplaying games are mainly played simply for the rolepleying experience. Everything else is secondary. Death would be seen as just another aspect to the game, something to generate story, something to pretend about through your character.

That doesn't mean permadeath sucks less for the player of an RP game, just that it's the sort of game where you can turn that emotion into play by acting out the experience. Not only that, but the characters your character made connections with in the game are sharing in the experience with you, not simply ignoring you becuase they don't want to lose something important to the player.

Yeah, the idea in a pure roleplay game is that any death is intended to hurt your allies more than it hurts you, because when someone you care about dies, it can be an earth-shattering event. Did you feel as though you were gutshot when Gandalf fell from the precipice? I know I did, even in spite of knowing the entire story. ;-)
Page: 1 2 3