ID:152263

When I see a character named "Goku890" in a role playing game, I immediately get turned off. What kind of restrictions do you think should be put into an RPG when it comes to naming your character? I hate games where they make you have a first and a last name, so I don't think I would put that in my game. I was thinking of not allowing numbers in the name, and keeping it so there can't be duplicates of the same name. What do you think?
You can always restrict certain Titles and Names, like restricting:

All DBZ Names, Naruto. All Numbers and HTML Code, and then certain titles like THE KING OF etc.
In response to LucifersHellion
No numbers, no HTML, no spaces, no blank names, no more than one capitalized letter
In response to Agriff1
And first letter capitalized.
From The Haven Seed, I have the following rules:

Automatically Enforced:
* Names must be unique.
* Names must be at least 3 characters in length.
* Names must be no longer than 25 characters in length.
* Names may only consist of letters, apostrophes, spaces, and hyphens. HTML and other characters are stripped from your name.

Administrator Enforced:
* Names must be appropriate to a human in the Medieval, Renaissance, or Industrial ages. Pseudonames (nicknames) are fine if they are keeping in the same period (e.g. "Wanderer" or "Shadowlight" is acceptable, but "Nitrous" or "Ultratorque" is not).
* Names cannot contain words or expressions that other people may or will find offensive.
* Names cannot contain any titles such as "Sir", "Lord", or "King", or any surtitles such as "the Great". You can always choose your title and surtitle within the game itself.
* Names cannot belong to any historical personages unless the names themselves are general (e.g. there's no problem with calling yourself "Henry", "Ford", "William", or "Townsend", but "Henry Ford" and "William Townsend" are invalid).
* Names cannot be taken from any literary source that is not of your own devising (e.g. no calling yourself "Conan" or "Groo").
* Names should be a proper noun; thus, they should not be an improper noun that refers to you as a specific type of person. An exception is made if your name is an ambiguous nickname (e.g. calling yourself "Red Mage" or "Fighter" is wrong, but "Wiseman" or "Brawler" is all right).

Having read this just now, I'm missing the admin-enforced "no all-caps" rule. Mixed capitalisation is still allowed (for instance, "Karl deSoto").
The following categories of names are unacceptable:
# Racial/Ethnic/National stereotypes, slurs, insults, intolerance, or similar
# Sexual or Violent terms
# Obscene, Vulgar, or Otherwise Inappropriate
# Harrassing, Defamatory, or Impersonating Another Player
# Game Staff or Words Implying Similar
# Illegal Activities (including drugs)
# Advertising
# Trademarks or Real World References
# Partial or Complete Sentences
# Gibberish
# Leetspeak or similar slang
# Titles
# Any Non-Ancient/Medieval or Non-Fantasy names
In response to Jmurph
Hmm do you think I should not allow numbers in names at all? Right now special keys like !@#$%/...etc aren't allowed in names. And names must be 2-25 characters long.
In response to Dession
Is there any reason a name should have numbers in it? If it is appropriate to your game, allow it. In mine, there is no reason to have numbers. If you are Luthor the second, then your name is Luthor, not Luthor2. Luthor II would probably be a bit more palatable.
In response to Jmurph
Jmurph wrote:
Is there any reason a name should have numbers in it? If it is appropriate to your game, allow it. In mine, there is no reason to have numbers. If you are Luthor the second, then your name is Luthor, not Luthor2. Luthor II would probably be a bit more palatable.

Yeah you're right there's no reason for numbers in the name. Ill just not allow it.
In response to Dession
Unless they're those awesome robo-tech games. I've always wanted to call my character E-17.
In response to DivineO'peanut
DivineO'peanut wrote:
Unless they're those awesome robo-tech games. I've always wanted to call my character E-17.

That's rad.
Dession wrote:
When I see a character named "Goku890" in a role playing game, I immediately get turned off. What kind of restrictions do you think should be put into an RPG when it comes to naming your character? I hate games where they make you have a first and a last name, so I don't think I would put that in my game. I was thinking of not allowing numbers in the name, and keeping it so there can't be duplicates of the same name. What do you think?

Well no numbers for one, and it is better if names have atleast 6 letters.
In response to Dession
Dession wrote:
Jmurph wrote:

Yeah you're right there's no reason for numbers in the name. Ill just not allow it.

You mean you're disallowing C3P0 and R2D2!?
In response to Foomer
Yupp and I wouldn't allow those names anyways haha. =P
In response to Zoltor
I made it at least two characters. What if your name is Mo? Heh.
In response to Dession
Dession wrote:

Lol, what are the odds of thatm besides, having the letter limit so low, may couse more trouble then good.

Example: If alot of people make two letter names, it would be hard to moderate the game(becouse most two letter names wouldn't be real names), as you might missclick, banning the wrong person, and it would be hard to keep track of trouble makers.
In response to Zoltor
Zoltor wrote:
Dession wrote:

Lol, what are the odds of thatm besides, having the letter limit so low, may couse more trouble then good.

Example: If alot of people make two letter names, it would be hard to moderate the game(becouse most two letter names wouldn't be real names), as you might missclick, banning the wrong person, and it would be hard to keep track of trouble makers.

I hope that you would be able to tell two names apart, no matter how many letters of which they were comprised.
In response to ShadowUser
Yeah haha. And that mis-clicking issue can happen whether the name is 10 letters or 2. I really don't see a way two letters can be used for abuse. Also the person might want to go by initials, ie: BT.
In response to ShadowUser
ShadowUser wrote:
Zoltor wrote:
Dession wrote:

I hope that you would be able to tell two names apart, no matter how many letters of which they were comprised.

Have you ever seen a list of 20+ names(all of which are jibberish), so they spell nothing, trust me one way or another it would be a pain lol.
In response to Zoltor
First off, this is a roleplaying game. Names wont be gibberish, if they are then they will have to rename.
Page: 1 2