ID:152311

Well. AS I have seen in several flash websites (newgrounds, flashportal, etc.), there are several submissions called "Collab Entries".
They consist that several different authors make their own animation, yet with the same topic.
Then the entries are "sticked" together into ONE flash.

Would that kind of work fit into BYOND?
Like, little "contests" in which entries would be packed up into one archive?

I dunno. It just popped up in my mind.
Sorry if this was st00pid <:0
Gooseheaded wrote:
Well. AS I have seen in several flash websites (newgrounds, flashportal, etc.), there are several submissions called "Collab Entries".
They consist that several different authors make their own animation, yet with the same topic.
Then the entries are "sticked" together into ONE flash.

Would that kind of work fit into BYOND?
Like, little "contests" in which entries would be packed up into one archive?

I dunno. It just popped up in my mind.
Sorry if this was st00pid <:0

I always wanted to know what a collab was Lol, I am known on newgrounds as well in the Flash forum and programming forum, just never knew what collab is..
In response to LilMain
collaboration, perhaps?
In response to Audeuro
Audeuro wrote:
collaboration, perhaps?

Still doesn't ring a bell..
In response to LilMain
You don't know "collaboration"? Here ya go, maybe it will clear things up.

col·lab·o·ra·tion Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kuh-lab-uh-rey-shuhn] Pronunciation Key
–noun
1. the act or process of collaborating.
2. a product resulting from collaboration: This dictionary is a collaboration of many minds.

Courtesy of Dictionary.com

Another word could be a compilation of many works into one, e.g. The DM Reference is a compilation of examples and syntax of commands in the DM programming Language.

Courtesy of Me. Hope it helps.

-KirbyAllStar
In response to KirbyAllStar
You know, if you want to help define a word, find the actual meaning for it.

Your definintion kept referring to collaborate, but what if the person doesn't know what that exactly means?

Compare the following defination to the one youprovided:

col·lab·o·rate /kəˈlæbəˌreɪt/ [kuh-lab-uh-reyt]

–verb (used without object), -rat·ed, -rat·ing.

1. to work, one with another; cooperate, as on a literary work: They collaborated on a novel.

2. to cooperate, usually willingly, with an enemy nation, esp. with an enemy occupying one's country: He collaborated with the Nazis during World War II.
In response to GhostAnime
GhostAnime wrote:
You know, if you want to help define a word, find the actual meaning for it.

Your definintion kept referring to collaborate, but what if the person doesn't know what that exactly means?

Compare the following defination to the one youprovided:

col·lab·o·rate /kəˈlæbəˌreɪt/ [kuh-lab-uh-reyt]

–verb (used without object), -rat·ed, -rat·ing.

1. to work, one with another; cooperate, as on a literary work: They collaborated on a novel.

2. to cooperate, usually willingly, with an enemy nation, esp. with an enemy occupying one's country: He collaborated with the Nazis during World War II.

Please don't make this a big deal..
In response to LilMain
Er, make a big deal out of what? o_O'
In response to GhostAnime
I think he ment, go back on topic, as to if this kind of thing would work in Byond.

The answer is yes, and it is working. That's what the libraries are. Pieces of complete code that can be used together to make a program.

Of course you still need to make the pieces fit together, as well as provide your own base code.
Jik was the only actual person who was being serious about the topic.
But, what I mean is...

Let's suppose there is a contest called "Think Red". 5 random coders (or chosen, doesn't matter) make their own game about something that is red; then one "leader" makes some sort of "menu" with collab:

(imagine some osrt of start screen)
THINK RED
A collab by:
  • random guy
  • random dude
  • random noob
  • random newbie

Then there is menu in which players can pick which game they wanna play... you know?

collaboration, btw.
In response to Gooseheaded
I think this would be a great idea. I think it would work best with some sort of Arcade environment, too.

You could even make a contest out of it and compile the top ten games into one dmb. I've tried making something similar on my own, but it's too much work for one person.

All you would have to do is set up some ground rules on type naming and overriding global processes.

If you decide to have one, give me a call :)
In response to Gooseheaded
Sorry about not being "serious", but if you do decide to do an arcade game like Dark said then contact me, I would like to help if I can

[email protected]
@yahoo.com
In response to DarkCampainger
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Several entries into one dmb.

After thinking about your posts, I realized that a collab would be more or less like iccusino; several short, yet fun games into one... file.
That shouldn't be hard, seeing as you are already provided all functions required for such a thing. Using DM's world.startup, Topic, and Export procedures, pinging and assigning new servers as necessary, you wouldn't even overdose the server with code, seeing as you could simply define new world's to use a certain piece of code.

A template may be,
switch game_to_connect
if "arcade space-shooter"
ping shooter
if shooter pongs
connect usr to shooter
else if shooter doesnt pong
startup a new shooter game
assign usr as the new shooter host

if "super mario 64"