ID:152412

Hey, I'm making a game (won't say what it is yet), but in it, you have a group of people that you control. The game calls for realistic names, so I was wondering if I should trust people to put valid first/last names for their characters, or should I use a random name generator? (Note: This isn't for the player's "main" character, because there is none. Each member of the group is equal in importance, so don't worry about players and their need to have a "bond" with their character) Sorry if this isn't enough detail, just let me know, and I'll see what I can do.
In general, no, you can't trust people to make good names, assuming names are important enough for you to care about them. You can't trust players to do anything -- you can't even trust them to want to play your game, because there are more than a few who will join your game just to chat!

Most people are trustworthy; some aren't. The few always spoil it for the many, sadly.
In response to Jtgibson
By the time you posted that, I had already decided on using the generator, lol.
In response to Seraphrevan
On option to consider is letting players assign "codenames" to veteran team members with the understanding that an inappropriate name will get the whole team wiped :-)
In response to Jmurph
Good idea, but it wouldn't really fit in with my game.